Solved

Customisations while only using the Customisation Project Editor, Not Visual Sudio.

• 18 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone

I really hope you can help

I’m a new MYOB Advanced Customisation Developer and I learnt everything I know from the training course and the Acumatica Open University.

With MYOB Advanced being an online solution we don’t have access to the database and can’t pull any code into visual studio as we are trained to do in the learning materials.

Does anyone have any alternative learning material that could assist be in becoming effective in my customisations while only using the Customisation Project Editor?

One Blazing example of issues I have, in the training material we “Customize a Data Class” by “Convert to extension” then edit the code and it becomes part of the DLL. If I “Convert to extension” I get this error:

Building directory '\WebSiteValidationDomain\App_Code\'.

\App_Code\Caches\PX_Objects_IN_InventoryItem_extensions.cs(25): error CS0101: The namespace 'PX.Objects.IN' already contains a definition for 'InventoryItemExt'

\App_Code\Caches\PX_Objects_IN_InventoryItem_extensions.cs(30): error CS0579: Duplicate 'PXDBInt' attribute

\App_Code\Caches\PX_Objects_IN_InventoryItem_extensions.cs(31): error CS0579: Duplicate 'PXUIField' attribute

\App_Code\Caches\PX_Objects_IN_InventoryItem_extensions.cs(25): error CS0101: The namespace 'PX.Objects.IN' already contains a definition for 'InventoryItemExt'

Compiler time, in seconds: 27.7445226

Validation failed.

icon

Best answer by dmurray 14 November 2022, 20:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you want to go through Acumatica trainings, I think it makes sense to download a local instance of Acumatica and use that for the training. 

Userlevel 2

I did do the trainings through a local instance, however, now I have started my role in a live environment there is no option to edit the code through Visual Studio or view the database.

Everything needs to be edited in the Customisation Project Editor. 

The live environment is much different to a local instance on your computer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Suddens  interesting. Does MYOB provide any dev instances?  

I think it’s better check with them.

Userlevel 1

The best solution, I have found, is to keep a local instance running for customizations. Once you debug/test your customization project locally, you then can export and publish it to production.

Once you’ve got your code how you want it in Visual Studio, published and tested in your local instance, you’re ready to export it to production. From your local instance, route to the Customization Project Editor and “Export Project Package” and save the resulting .zip locally.

Export Project Package from local instance

Within your production instance, route to the Customization Project Editor and either create a new customization project or select the one you wish to update.

A feature I find useful when updating existing customization projects is to use “Replace from Package”, and select the .zip file that you previously downloaded from your local instance.

Replace from Package within production instance

Hope this helps you. From what I understand, MYOB is really just another instance of Acumatica with some base customization, so something as core as Customization Projects wouldn’t likely differ between them.

Userlevel 2

These tips were really helpful, using these techniques I am successfully developing customisations for MYOB Advanced (a version of Acumatica). 

I start my customisations in MYOB Advanced (making custom screens and database tables) then export the project and open it a local version of Acumatica to develop business logic / any C# needed. After testing I upload the customisation back into MYOB Advanced and it runs perfeclty. 

Thank you all for the advice. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved