Question

Discrepancies in Opportunities Total Amount

• 15 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

We are currently running 2021 R2 Construction Edition.

I was writing some Generic Inquiries to report on open Opportunities.  Inspecting the “Total” field on the Opportunities CR304000 screen I found CROpportunity.TotalAmount as the value I wanted to report.  The results looked erroneous and upon investigating I found the value being returned in the GI for CROpportunity.TotalAmount was NOT the value displayed in the Total field on the screen.

After further investigation I found the “Standard” (without Construction enabled) has CROpportunity.CuryProductsAmount in the Total field.  Rewriting the GI I found this to be the value displayed on the Construction Edition screen as well.

Ran a quick GI to compare the values of TotalAmount and CuryProductsAmount and found many in disagreement, though the majority were the same.  In all cases the CuryProductsAmount was confirmed correct while the TotalAmount could not be obviously derived from the supporting data.

What is supposed to differentiate these two totals?

Can I confidently use CuryProductsAmount for my reporting?

If not, is there a means to recalculate and correct the TotalAmount?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@brianmcmillin100 Are you using multi-currency? 
If yes, then based on the currencies and their conversion rates you can have different values for the fields with “Cury” and their equivalent without “Cury”. If you are not using multi-currency then there fields always are the same otherwise you should have been experiencing Data Entry errors,

I don’t believe out of the box there is a tools to reprocess the Amounts and trust me “you don’t want to write an script to fix it” as there are too many dependent and moving parts that need to be considered.

I always use “Cury” fields unless intentionally I want the converted Amount of the currency.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@brianmcmillin100 apologies for delay in reply to your request, only just seen it. I had this issue (and fixed it) - if you are still looking for that let me know and I’ll dig my archives to find the document I created that showed exactly what was happening (in my case) and what I did to solve the challenge. I reported it via a private message on here to support but didn’t want to make it public or officially register it as a bug because the circumstances are pretty unique and the thought was it was unlikely to be replicated, but maybe you have tripped over the same thing I did.

All the best,

Userlevel 1

@aaghaei we are not, and have not, used multi-currency.  I did take another look for a “CuryTotalAmount” and found “CuryAmount”.  Added “ProductsAmount” to compare to “CuryProductsAmount” (found to agree) and added “QuotedAmount” to the comparison… just in case it might prove useful.  It did not help.

Here is illustrative subset of my results:

Opportunity amounts not in agreement

As stated in original post, the “CuryProductsAmount” appears to be the correct value, inclusive of tax, and it is the value displayed on the screen despite the insistence of the Element Inspector:

I just really need to be confident that these reports are, and should remain, accurate.  Bad financial reporting, even at the opportunity level is not, and should not be, well tolerated here.

@GrahamMartin I would very much appreciate your solution if you can find it in your archives.

Thank You!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@brianmcmillin100 let see if what @GrahamMartin has done applies in your case too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

OK, took a bit of digging and may not be the same situation but worth a read as you might find some clues.

In my case, the problem I saw was that all Manual amounts on Opportunity records "disappeared" on adding Construction Edition to a client who already had Project. Also in my case, the customer was only ever inputting manual amounts (because their estimating mechanism was very complex, so they weren’t actually using the quoting part).

The reason the values “disappeared” is because with Construction option turned on, the "Amount" field on Opportunity screen looks to a different database source ("QuotedAmount") than with the option turned off ("CuryAmount"). This is only for existing records that already have a manual value added. All new records entered do not have any problem (so hopefully that restores confidence for you @brianmcmillin100).

With the Construction option enabled (and without the system being “fixed” - see later), if a user creates a Save situation for an existing record without re-entering the amount, the amount will be lost completely because "QuotedAmount" (which is zero) gets pushed into "CuryAmount" on save. So for instance if they were simply updating a description line or a name, on saving that record the amount would get lost as with Construction turned on the value in “QuotedAmount” (the source) is zero which overwrites the value in “CuryAmount”.

The fix for me was easy. With Construction option turned off in the Enable/Disable screen, I used a GI showing the Amount field and exported to Excel for all Opportunities with a non-zero amount. Then I turned the Construction option back on and used an import scenario to bring in the Excel sheet and update all affected Opportunity records by pushing amount value into "QuotedAmount". Now when a user edited an old record, and on saving the system pushed “QuotedAmount” across into “CuryAmount”, the value would be correct and not lost.

I sent this via PM to Acumatica saying I had screen shots to show this step by step if they wanted me to make a support case, but as it seemed to be a very specific problem to my customer who originally had a 2018 Advanced General Edition with Project and CRM to which Construction for other Editions was added and they also only ever used "Manual" amounts in their opportunities I didn’t bother to make a case.

I think the problem was probably linked to the added function of "Multiple Customers" for Construction opportunities that came about in 2021.

The engineering cost to properly fix the problem (i.e. when turning on Construction option in a system that has had Construction added as an option to a non-construction license, check all Opportunities for Manual amounts>0 and copy the value found into QuotedAmount field) didn't make sense to me at the time and so I didn’t bother raising it as a bug.

We had just 10 records out of many thousands we had to find manual paperwork for so we could re-enter the values. This was because once the problem was noticed, simply turning off "Construction" option in Enable/Disable screen stopped any further “corruption” of the records, and so I was able to do my export/import to fix the problem fully.

I don’t know if that helps you at all Brian?

All the best,
Graham

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved