Solved

How to assign different default subaccounts to different GL accounts

• 15 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Is there a way to specifically assign a GL account a default Subaccount?
For example, I have the following two GL accounts
11000 Accounts Receivable
12000 Accounts Payable

Both are assigned to Asset classes and Control Modules respectively as
11000 Accounts Receivable AR AR
12000 Accounts Payable AP AP

I want to assign a default subaccount to each of the two GL accounts like this
11000 Accounts Receivable default Subaccount : 00009-900

12000 Accounts Payable default Subaccount : 00010-100

Both of those subaccounts are in the subaccount list, but I cannot find the setting where I can set that the respective GL accounts need to use the respective subaccounts.

Thank you,

Jeff

icon

Best answer by aaghaei 16 March 2024, 22:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Short answer is you can not. Default Subaccount is set in the Subaccount list not at Account level. You need to customize Chart of Account screen to assign a default Subaccount to each account and also each data entry screen in question individually.

Badge +18

Hello, 

Are you literally talking about AP and AR accounts? Or just using these as an example? If looking for a way to default AR and AP with given default Subaccount…

I recommend setting the default AP account and Subaccount on all vendor classes and all vendors to 12000 00010-100. You said 12000 is your AP control account in the chart of accounts. Also in Chart of Accounts, make sure Allow Manual Posting is not selected.

With this recommended configuration, only AP documents (transactions originating in Payables module) can post to account 12000 and every vendor is set up with the correct default Subaccount to go with 12000. 

The only time a posting error could occur is when a user clicks on the Financial tab of a Bill or Payment and manually changes the AP account or sub. It’s unlikely that users would change it, IMO. Though you were only asking about defaulting it, not preventing a change.

Proper training of users will help prevent errors. Optionally, access rights/roles can be used to make AP accounts display-only on documents. 

The same recommendation will work similarly in AR.

Laura

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Laura02
Quick question for clarification.  When you write “Allow Manual Posting” set to “FALSE” are you referring to the “Allow Manual Entry” option on the GL screen?  (I did not want to assume that was the column but I thought that was what you were referring to.)

Thank you,

Jeff

Badge +18

Yes, Jeff, you guessed correctly!

Sometimes I answer late at night from my phone… with no Acumatica in front of me. Sorry about any confusion caused by me using “approximate” column name from COA!

Subaccount can be defaulted from many, many places to help avoid user error.  Examples: default from Vendor GL Accounts Tab, Customers GL Accounts tab, Item GL Accounts tab, Inventory Posting classes, Entry Types, Payment Methods, Sales Order Types, etc.

GL Journal Transactions will not have any default, but most other screens do offer default accounts and subaccounts. If you need subaccount to default from only one place in all data entry screens without configuring the examples I mentioned, then do follow Reza’s advice to seek customizations.

Best,

Laura

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved