Question

Trying to use one field for separate objects in GI

• 5 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add a description field for two separate fields, the PhantomBomID and the regular InventoryID. Is there any way to direct the description field towards the different descriptions for each item?

Here’s a screenshot of my results grid. The underlined items are the ID’s that need to have a description, and the highlighted items are the descriptions themselves. 

Here are my relations. I tried relating a separate field to the PhantomBomID, but it caused me to have duplicate records. 

9 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

I’m not sure I understand.

For the first question, are you concerned because your results will have two different columns with the same name “Descr”?  If so, We can expose the Caption field on the Results tab of Generic Inquiries and give the two columns different Headings, to differentiate.

If Relations are causing duplicate records:

1. Try inactivating your joins one at a time to determine which join causes the duplicates
  2. Show us the bottom section of the Relations tab for the join that causes the duplicates and we will give advice.

Thank you!

Laura

Userlevel 1

Hi Laura!

First of all, thank you for responding to this post. My concern isn’t the caption at the top of the results, but rather the results themselves. I want to know if there’s any way I could use the same field, InventoryItem.Descr, to give the descriptions for my InventoryID and my PhtmBomID fields. 

The duplication is a seperate part of this. I am aware of the table that is duplicating records, but currently it is the only way that I have found to include both descriptions, which is using the AMBomItem table to relate to the PhtmBomID field to pull the description from a separate table.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks,

Trey

Badge +18

Hello @tbradfield ,

I think the only way to use the same field for describing two items is if both item id’s are in the table as stock or non-stock items and the tables/ields are properly joined.

I don’t see in your Relations screenshot where you joined the AMBomItem table.  Please show the relations, top and bottom sections of the screen for the line where AMBOMItem table is connected and we will help you to figure it out.

Thank you.

Laura

Userlevel 1

Sorry, I had that table removed since it was causing the duplicating records. Here is a screenshot:

Thank you again for your help!

Badge +18

Hello @tbradfield 

A join that produces duplicate lines may need to be linked on more than one field -- two or more lines needed in the Links section at the bottom of Relations tab.  I used SQL Server to see the key fields in AMProdOper versus AMBomItem tables.

AMProdOper:                              AMBomItem

Company/Branch                        Company/Branch

OrdType                                      BOMID

ProdOrdID                                   Revision ID

OperationID

I’m not a manufacturing expert or a table-linking expert 😉  so I will Guess how these tables might be successfully linked, and hopefully someone else will come along to improve on my guess if needed.

• In addition to the BOM Link you show above, you may need to also link the two tables on company or branch ID. 
  • Possibly, ProdOrdId field should be linked to BOMID field - In addition or instead of the ‘Phantom’ BOM ID.
  • Because a Production order may have more than one operation, you may need to use Conditions tab of your GI to select a specific operation that contains the inventory id’s. 
  • You may need to use Conditions tab of the GI to choose only the most recent (Max or Highest) Revision ID or whatever Revision ID is marked as Active.

Laura

Userlevel 1

Hey Laura,

It looks like they were duplicating because there were two active BOM revisions on the records that were duplicated. Thank you so much for walking me through this, I appreciate your help!

Thanks again,

Trey

Userlevel 1

@Laura02 after looking into this, I have been struggling to get the Max function working properly to group the two separate revision ID’s into the most recent revision. How would I use this formula for this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @tbradfield were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Chris Hackett , I was able to find the reason I had duplicating records, but I was unable to fix them because I do not know how to only show the record with the most recent revision.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved