Solved

Evaluate Not Null

• 20 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello everyone,

What is the proper syntax in the Generic Inquiry builder to evaluate if the value of a field is not null?

For example if I want to evalute if Inventory Item Item ID is not null...

The following does not evalute correctly:

[InventoryItem.InventoryID]<>Null

The following does evaluate correctly, but looking for a more direct way:

=IIF(Isnull([InventoryItem.InventoryID],0)<>0,...)

Thanks in advance!

Luke

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 21 February 2024, 15:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @darylbowman.  Agree that null is not the same as blank, but that does work in this context. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

InventoryID is a required field from a database level as it is the primary key.  Could you share more on your reasoning for this formula as it might not be needed? 

Your first formula is correct FIELD <> Null is a valid expression so once we know more about use case it will be easier to determine why you are not seeing the result you expect.  

Similarly for a generic inquiry you can use the conditions tab to indicate FIELD | IS NOT EMPTY

Badge +11

It may be that IsNull checks for null or blank, whereas, an equality comparision to null will only check for null.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

You could try inventoryID>’’    -   that’s 2 single quotes.  I believe I’ve used this before.

Badge +11

Null is not the same as blank, although if one formula works as ‘null’, it seems like they both should. Try this:

[InventoryItem.InventoryID]<>''

Badge +11

@lukef55 If this is resolved, would you mark it solved by checking the box on the best answer?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I used InventoryID as a simple example.  My actual use case is a multi-level Kit Specification report where I am left joining KitSpecifcations on KitComponents.  I am using the null check to determine what level the component is on.

Here is an example evaluating using <>Null vs IsNull

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved