Solved

Stock Item > Valuation Method update

• 11 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello,

I created an import scenario to update some of our stock items Valuation method from standard to average.

I am getting an error message:

Valuation method cannot be changed from 'Standard' to 'Average' while stock is not zero.

There is inventory on the items. Is there a way to update the Valuation method without having to issue out the inventory, update the SKU and then receive back in the inventory?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by meganfriesen37 12 August 2023, 00:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Here is a screen shot of the import.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Unfortunately, there is no way to update the valuation method of an item while it’s in stock.  Similar to a couple of other issues here related to changing base unit of measure:

and here: 

You cannot edit certain settings on a item while you have it in Stock.  To update your valuation method, you’ll need to do the following steps (we did the same thing for a client back in July). Before you start, make sure you have no open shipments/SO Invoices and receipts/PO Bills or other inventory allocations.  Here’s what we did for our client.

a.    Prepare an Inventory Issue transaction to remove all impacted inventory from Acumatica at its current cost, regardless of what that cost may be.  

b.    Validate that the inventory balance for impacted items is 0 qty and $0.

c.    Prepare and run an import scenario to change all Stock Items from Standard Cost to Average cost.  

d.    Verify that all items now have Average Valuation.

e.    Using the same data as the Inventory Issue, prepare an Inventory Receipt to add back all inventory to Acumatica to the same accounts and locations that it was removed from at the same prices it was removed at.  (Or, if you are changing the actual $ value of your items then update accordingly and with the right reason codes to account for the cost variances)

f.      Verify that the inventory quantity and valuation match the original amounts.

g.    Update Item Classes for Stock Items to ensure all new items created in the future have “average” valuation.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello @meganfriesen37 ,

Yes I figured I would need to follow the steps you listed. I was hoping there was a work around.

Thanks for your help!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved