Solved

Non-stock items general question

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can someone please tell me the value of the non-stock item feature. I am new to Acumatica and have seen on our system many non-stock items being set up for equipment such as desks and tables, actually broken down into their features, which are being purchased to set up as part of the set up of a new business. I imagine these are on-off purchases and I am struggling to see the point in creating any part numbers at all...why not just use the nominal (general ledger) code and the description. I kind of get it for labour and purchases you may be making frequently but otherwise I am not sure what the value is?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Malinda278 9 June 2022, 13:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Malinda278 

Are they being used as fixed assets? It sounds like that may be the use of them since it is the setup for a new business. 

Non-stock items in the system are primarily used for things that have no physical presence. This would be things such as Labor or Services. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes they are, I would normally have put the items on a general ledger code such as fixed assets and then maybe uploaded the purchase invoice as evidence of what was bought. What has happened seems very unwieldly and a bit heavy handed.

So what criteria would you use for setting up a non-stock item?

Best Regards

Malinda

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Are you not using the fixed assets module? 

I think for setting up a Non-Stock item, it depends on your business and how you want to track those items. If these are items that are being purchased once, then a Non-Stock type is ok so that you can still do a purchase order for them and track them for financials.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello there

I am not sure we have this module so no. I can’t find it when I search on Fixed Asset..I was not here for the implementation and as we are a small company it’s likely that it was considered not required.

So the criteria for setting up a non stock item would be the need for tracking it maybe. I think maybe in our case what has happened is that we were quoted for production desks and equipment by parts to be assembled . Because of this new part numbers were set up for all elements such as the upper shelf and the posts etc...so it’s a matter of degree. I would have been as happy with one line on a purchase order to match the total amount and the upload of the invoice for detail.

I can’t imagine anyone here ever referring to this ‘non-stock’ part number again so I would think this is too heavy handed for our business.

Thanks and best regards

Malinda

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello there

I am not sure we have this module so no. I can’t find it when I search on Fixed Asset..I was not here for the implementation and as we are a small company it’s likely that it was considered not required.

So the criteria for setting up a non stock item would be the need for tracking it maybe. I think maybe in our case what has happened is that we were quoted for production desks and equipment by parts to be assembled . Because of this new part numbers were set up for all elements such as the upper shelf and the posts etc...so it’s a matter of degree. I would have been as happy with one line on a purchase order to match the total amount and the upload of the invoice for detail.

I can’t imagine anyone here ever referring to this ‘non-stock’ part number again so I would think this is too heavy handed for our business.

Thanks and best regards

Malinda

It sounds like that is the exact reason the Non-Stock item was used since you do not have fixed assets. 

You are correct, it was set up that way just to track it longer term it appears. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Malinda278 were you ever able to resolve your issue? Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Chris

I have taken a while to resolve it in my mind and I think I have decided that the ‘non-stock’ item is of limited use to us as a company. Particularly as we were using it to buy and sell ‘tooling’ set up costs for a product and the software is not able to accept splitting the line to ship half and retain the links to the PO. Our support team are looking into this for us. So sort of resolved in the sense that I don’t think we really need to use this often, maybe only for freight charges and one off tooling charges. With the freight we never raise purchase orders for freight so we would not need the links and I can’t see why we need to use non-stock items at all...just sell on the general ledger code.

Thanks for asking

Malinda

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved