Solved

Approvals for AP Bill to PO Discrepency

• 3 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are currently implementing Acumatica and just discovered from our consultant that there is no easy way to create an approval map to handle situations where an invoice doesn’t match the PO (i.e. price variance, freight charges added, etc...). In a perfect world, we would be able to replicate our current purchasing software which sends an automatic approval to the person who made the purchase order to approve the variance as AP has no idea if it is legit or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible workarounds to handle AP Invoice/Purchase order variances without us reverting to the old fashioned way of sending each invoice manually back to the buyer to ask for their approval?

icon

Best answer by Laura02 17 October 2023, 15:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

The easiest way would be using a Business Event or else you would need to create a customization.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @afranklin 

I found another thread that may help you along with what @StevenRatner suggested.

https://community.acumatica.com/financials-7/ppv-po-receipt-ap-bills-approval-workflow-10285

Badge +18

Hello @afranklin ,

In Acumatica 2023, we can re-assign approvals.

Perhaps an AP Bill Approval map could be configured for AP Bills, assigning the Approval to the AP WorkGroup who enters the Bills.

When/if an AP Bill arrives with a PO Number, the AP Clerk could open the PO and look at the pricing, to see whether the Invoice in hand matches the pricing on the original PO. When there is a discrepancy between PO Price and Pricing on the AP Bill:

1. AP Clerk notes owner/approver of PO.
  2. AP Clerk enters the Invoice as written (with different price).
  3. AP Clerk adds a note to the lines with pricing descrepancy, and/or a Note to the header of the AP Bill stating bill does not match PO pricing.
  4. AP Clerk takes Bill off Hold → This action assigns AP Approval to the same person/group (AP Clerks).
  5. AP Clerk can  use (...) Actions → Reassign approval right from the AP Bill, or from T & E → Approvals screen. 
  6. AP Clerk assigns the AP Bill approval back to the person who entered the PO.
  7. AP Bill Notification comes with Acumatica and can simply be activated in AP Preferences, notifying the PO owner that she has an AP Bill requiring approval:
Attach notification to Approval tab of AP Preferences

I hope this works for you!

Laura

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank Kandy and Laura! Still getting familiar with approvals but will run both of these ides by our VAR to see how we can hopefully use one of these solutions :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @afranklin ,

In Acumatica 2023, we can re-assign approvals.

Perhaps an AP Bill Approval map could be configured for AP Bills, assigning the Approval to the AP WorkGroup who enters the Bills.

When/if an AP Bill arrives with a PO Number, the AP Clerk could open the PO and look at the pricing, to see whether the Invoice in hand matches the pricing on the original PO. When there is a discrepancy between PO Price and Pricing on the AP Bill:

1. AP Clerk notes owner/approver of PO.
  2. AP Clerk enters the Invoice as written (with different price).
  3. AP Clerk adds a note to the lines with pricing descrepancy, and/or a Note to the header of the AP Bill stating bill does not match PO pricing.
  4. AP Clerk takes Bill off Hold → This action assigns AP Approval to the same person/group (AP Clerks).
  5. AP Clerk can  use (...) Actions → Reassign approval right from the AP Bill, or from T & E → Approvals screen. 
  6. AP Clerk assigns the AP Bill approval back to the person who entered the PO.
  7. AP Bill Notification comes with Acumatica and can simply be activated in AP Preferences, notifying the PO owner that she has an AP Bill requiring approval:
Attach notification to Approval tab of AP Preferences

I hope this works for you!

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much but having issues with the reassign button. Ideally, our AP team would have the ability to reassign any invoice regardless of who the approver is. The problem is that when I try to reassign the approval to someone else, it says I am not an authorized approver for this document. Any suggestion for a workaround? 

Badge +18

Hello,

So far I’ve worked with one client using approval reassignments, to allow AP to select the approvers (when the first-level approver needs to be different from the default) we added Finance (AP) into the Company Tree and into their own simultaneous node of the Approval Map:

Add AP/Finance to Approval Map to facilitate reassignment at Level 1 by AP Clerk.

The solution is not perfect, because each Bill ends up with 2 potential approvers, Default and AP. AP is simply reassigning their approval to a more appropriate person at Level 1.  The ‘default’ level 1 approver can still see the bill in her approvals, until the person to whom AP’s is reassigned approves the bill.

I expect as we all continue using re-assignment, Acumatica will continue improving reassignment features. We definitely need an easy way for AP to over-ride default approval assignment, versus the approvers on each level being the only ones who can re-assign.

Laura

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved