Question

Cannot Create Shipment: Order does not contain any items planned for shipment on (date)

• 9 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a resolution for this issue:

The following error appears when attempting to create a shipment for an order for which the Sched. Shipment date is greater than the current date.

This would be considered a bug to us, as there is no reason you should be prevented from shipping an order earlier than requested.

This is a required field that is pre-populated from the SO Requested On field, and results in an additional unnecessary and confusing step of manually altering the scheduled shipment date to the current day before creating the shipment.

We are shipping non-stock items, back order allowed, allow negative quantity, but that should not matter.

I know this was previously a known issue but we are using 2023 R1 where it was supposedly resolved years ago

TYVM!

Kyle

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @xkylewrightx 

Workaround:

Try below options

• Changed the qty to “0” on the open Line items
  • After that again changed the qty to “1” which resulted in the update of open qty
  • Change to Warehouse and reupdate the previous Warehouse
  • Create a shipment.

Another Option is to export the SO line delete the Lines from the sales order re add the stock Items to the sales order and verify the results.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@manikantad18 

Appreciate your response, but that is definately not an acceptable solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes but there are several reasons, Please verify the workaround 

https://community.acumatica.com/archive-276/known-issue-in-acumatica-erp-2020-r2-and-later-in-some-cases-the-order-does-not-contain-items-planned-for-shipment-error-appeared-on-a-user-s-attempt-to-create-a-shipment-from-a-sales-order-4725

Userlevel 5
Badge

@manikantad18

Your workaround is unnecessary as the easier workaround is just to change the sched. shipment date to today or earlier. 

What are the ‘several reasons’ that we would not be allowed to fulfill an order earlier than requested?

I do not see any business scenario for which this is a feature instead of a bug

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@manikantad18

Your workaround is unnecessary as the easier workaround is just to change the sched. shipment date to today or earlier. 

What are the ‘several reasons’ that we would not be allowed to fulfill an order earlier than requested?

I do not see any business scenario for which this is a feature instead of a bug

I understand the inclination to adjust the shipment date to today for immediate dispatch. Rest assured, this is strategic, and not a “bug”…  Let me share some insights:
Inventory Management: Shipping orders early can disrupt inventory tracking and planning, potentially leading to imbalances like stockouts or excess inventory.

Cash Flow Management: Early shipping might affect a business's cash flow, especially if it relies on receiving payments according to a specific schedule.

Supply Chain Coordination: Supply chains involve multiple stakeholders, and shipping orders early can cause disruptions, affecting not just the business but also its partners.

Customer Expectations: Consistently shipping orders early may lead customers to expect faster delivery as the norm, which could be unsustainable during peak periods or supply chain disruptions.

Operational Efficiency: Businesses plan their operations around forecasted shipping schedules. Deviating from these schedules by shipping early could lead to inefficiencies and increased costs.

Cost Implications: Early shipping might incur additional costs, such as for expedited shipping or altered warehousing schedules, which might not always be justified by the benefits.

Contractual Obligations: Some businesses have agreements that specify delivery windows. Shipping outside these windows, even if earlier, could breach contracts or incur penalties.

Quality Assurance: Products undergoing final checks or processes scheduled close to the shipping date could be compromised by early shipping, affecting quality.

Regulatory Compliance: Certain regulated products might have shipping restrictions or compliance checks aligned with the original ship date, making early shipping problematic.

The option to ship today is available by setting today as the ship date, underscoring that this situation is more about strategic planning than a need for a “workaround” or a “fix”. This approach allows for flexibility while also considering the broader operational and strategic context

Userlevel 5
Badge

@jamesh Well I guess I just have to say that I completely disagree.. If it were a preference or a warning, I would be right there on the same page as you. However, it is a system error that does not let you proceed with a very specific task (the same error that is triggered by the numerous previously Known Bugs).

Im trying to imagine letting my customer know, that although we received stock in early to fulfill their order, “we just cant ship it early ‘cause the system wont allow it!” Maybe that is someone’s business scenario but it certainly is not ours :) 

Your arguments of inventory management are invalid, as we are shipping non-stock items that allow backorder - which is the entire point of configuring item types, allocation preferences, etc. 

Your arguments of cash flow management are invalid, as shipping an order that has stock available does not have a linear or even negative impact on cash flow - nor does Acumatica nanny our cash flow in any other regard.

The cost implications of shipping early are (not the ERP’s business) and are actually inverse of what you have said - shipping early allows more time for the carrier, which universally results in lower prices. 

It is not the ERP’s business to manage customer expectations, and it does not attempt to do so anywhere else in the software - especially when I have clicked into a specific order and asked it to create a shipment manually (versus the shipment automation)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Then change the ship date and you’re good to go!  Right?

You asked for some reasons and now you have some. Just because they don’t apply to your business (or mine in most cases haha) doesn’t mean they don’t apply to others.  It’s a matter of understanding the functionality and the potential behind it rather than agreeing with every possible use case.

Saying my arguments are invalid because it doesn’t apply to your business is an invalid argument in and of itself, isn’t it?

I agree that it could be better to override this with a checkbox in the sales order preferences or something though because it can be annoying. But at the same time, for customers that aren’t you or me it could be a warning.

Although the error definitely needs to be clarified to something else that makes sense like “You’re trying to ship items before your scheduled ship date”… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interesting discussions going on here in this thread.

@xkylewrightx your point about a system error message which doesn’t zero in on what to do, is feedback that we need to hear.

Dana

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Dana Moffat - Many error messages don’t point to what we should do. Even in trace messages. We end up submitting tickets and get things resolved that way.

However, in this instance having an order or shipment tell you there’s “No items planned for shipment” on x date seems fairly straightforward. Although shipment planning is inferred here. Scheduled shipment is likely more appropriate. Or perhaps a message stating you “haven’t reached the scheduled shipment date” would be more appropriate. We’ve discussed options to work around this error that will hopefully help with the development roadmap. 

Regardless, this isn’t even one of the more ambiguous error messages. Perhaps we can get a solution to the very generic message “object reference not set to an instance of an object”?  That seems to be able to appear almost anywhere without a rhyme or reason. Haha

I’m also interested in this one as i want to hold the “Requested On” date static as a promise date and then be able to ship early if product is available and freight carrier can pick it up.  By having to go in and change the Requested Date, I’m unable to capture any sort of real metrics on ship vs promise date.  Perhaps, there is still a way to do this as i haven’t explored too much but i was just having the discussion yesterday about this with one of my colleagues.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @xkylewrightx were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved