Solved

Why FieldSelecting event is not triggered?

• 1 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello All,

I am trying to trigger FieldSelecting Event in a graph extension for EPApprovalProcess (ScreenID EP503010) but I am not sure why the event is not triggered while in the same extension RowSelected Event is triggered just fine. I had this issue in the past on a different graph that Generic Method was not working and with @Yuriy Zaletskyy guidance I switched to the traditional method DACName_FieldName_Event syntax style and worked fine (see below post). So I thought I had learnt from it so I tried both methods but it didn’t work. 

Please see the below code I have tried all possible methods but none of them are triggered.

using PX.Data;
using PX.Objects.EP;
using static PX.Objects.EP.EPApprovalProcess;

namespace MYTest
{
// ScreenID EP503010
public class MYEPApprovalProcessExt : PXGraphExtension<EPApprovalProcess>
{
public static bool IsActive() => true;

// This Row Selected Event IS triggered
protected virtual void _(Events.RowSelected<EPOwned> e, PXRowSelected baseHandler)
{
if (e.Row == null) return;
}

// The below Field Selecting Events are NOT triggered
protected virtual void _(Events.FieldSelecting<EPOwned, EPOwned.noteID> e)
{
}

protected virtual void _(Events.FieldSelecting<EPOwned, EPOwned.noteID> e, PXFieldSelecting baseHandler)
{
}

protected void EPOwned_NoteID_FieldSelecting(PXCache cache, PXFieldSelectingEventArgs e)
{
}

protected void EPOwned_NoteID_FieldSelecting(PXCache cache, PXFieldVerifyingEventArgs e, PXFieldSelecting baseHandler)
{
}
}
}

icon

Best answer by Yuriy Zaletskyy 4 October 2023, 01:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @aaghaei,

It looks like FieldSelecting doesn’t work for NoteID, but works for the other fields, for example  for RefNoteID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@aaghaei  Is NOTEID filed added to the screen?

I think FieldSelecting event will fire only when that field is available on the screen.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Naveen Boga There is a Note column in the grid, it comes from a Projection. I believe NoteID is in Note, RefNoteID is in EPOwned table.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Naveen Boga and @Zoltan Febert thank you for the replies. NoteID is EPOwned it’s own note and RefNoteID is the parent document note. I do not believe NoteID is added to screen. I will try by NoteID added and post the result.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

According to explanation in file Event.cs ( you can find that in your Acumatica instance, in the folder  App_Data\CodeRepository) event FieldSelecting is executed in the following cases:

The FieldSelecting event triggers in several situations:

1. When the external representation (how the value displays in the UI) of a data access class field (DAC) value is requested from the UI or through the Web Service API.
  2. When these PXCache methods initiate assigning the default value to a field:
    1. Insert()
    2. Insert(object)
    3. Insert(IDictionary)
  3. While a field updates in the PXCache object due to any of these methods:
    1. Update(object)
    2. Update(IDictionary, IDictionary)
  4. When a DAC field value is requested through any of these PXCache methods:
    1. GetValueInt(object, string)
    2. GetValueIntField(object)
    3. GetValueExt(object, string)
    4. GetValueExt<Field>(object)
    5. GetValuePending(object, string)
    6. ToDictionary(object)
    7. GetStateExt(object, string)
    8. GetStateExt<Field>(object)

If to look on the screen EP503010, then first of all, we don’t see noteid field dispalyed. As outcome none of scenarios 1 is executed.

Scenario 2 is not exectued as well, because screen EP503010 doesn’t insert value into noteid field.

Scenario 3 is not executed, because screen EP503010 is read only, and updates are not executed.

Scenario 4 is not executed as well ( including all eight sub-scenarios).

But when I’ve added noteid field to the form, then event FieldSelecting gots executed. So to put simply, FieldSelecting wasn’t executed, and that is not a bug, but a feature.

Below goes a screenshot, from which I’ve generated scenarios.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@aaghaei does my comment ^ answers your question? Or you need some additional details?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Yuriy Zaletskyy thank you very much for the very thorough explanation and the follow up. Yes I tested it today and I got my answer and the issue is resolved. I think it is a very good reference for those who may come across the same issue. Thank you again.

thanks to @Naveen Boga who pointed out the same but I can only select one correct answer.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved