Question

When to use Constants and when to load values from a separate Database Table?

• 19 March 2023
  • 0 replies

Good day,

with reference to the Acumatica Developer Training and Course T190 in particular, where custom fields with in-cache list values called “Constants” are added to a standard table (inventory item), I would like to ask into the round whether this is basic Acumatica architecture philosophy and how you would compare to storing constants in separate custom tables first.

My thinking:

• Constants are enumerators.
  • Whenever the enumerator needs to be maintained by Business (or an Administrator), storing the values in cache makes it difficult to maintain the data.
  • Loading up scripts with enumerator lists is less performant than storing it in a dedicated SQL table.
  • When creating reports, the constants will not be available.

For these reasons, storing Constants in scripts seems intriguing.

How do you look at it?
How do you maintain enumerator lists, specifically when they may grow, need to be translated, or referred to in reporting?
Is my thinking misaligned?

I am looking forward to your thoughts!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved