Question

Strategy for having a specific on hold order type to be included in MRP

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We’re using MRP for production. We don’t include On Hold sales orders in the calculation. But now we have a change in requirements so that we want to include orders in the Awaiting For Payment status - which has the order being on hold.

The idea is that we want to prepare for the order to be placed but we don’t want to ship it until we’ve received a prepayment. But we do want to be able to plan our production around this order.

So I figured there are two ways to tackle this:

1. Via customized workflow. I create a custom field to indicate that we’re waiting on a payment for this order. That field will impact the visibility to the Create Shipment button. So the order will be officially “open” and thus included in MRP but, from the user’s standpoint, they cannot ship the order until a prepayment has been applied to the order.
  2. Adjust the MRP calculation to include this sub-set of orders similar to how Blanket Orders are added to the MRP calc. The concern is that MRP is a complicated set of calculations that I’m worried that injecting these orders into it will cause a problem we might not figure out until we’re a few weeks down the line.

#1 seems the easiest and offers up the most visibility to how the order is going to impact the MRP calculation. #2 is the most seamless integration but it feels like it comes with more risks.

Any suggestions on the direction or perhaps a #3 option?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved