Generic Inquiry vs Inquiry Form

• 21 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey all,

I was assigned a new project to make an inquiry to find all orders with any given SKU in it. As a developer my instinct was to jump to making an inquiry form from scratch. However, while I was in the middle of the project it dawned on me that this could probably of just been a generic inquiry.

So I set out do see if there was any standard as to when to make a new Inquiry form vs a generic inquiry, but I couldn't find anything concrete and the university write ups don’t say when one is preferable to the other.

So, my question is what is your guys' opinion on when to make an inquiry form vs a generic inquiry and is there any performance benefit to picking one over the other? (assuming both are well written / bug tested)

My assumptions are that a well written Inquiry form might eke out the performance of the same generic inquiry and that you might be able to create a more complex inquiry form if you needed to. However I have no real basis for these thoughts and I would like to know if I’m on the right track.

Thanks in advance, I am excited to hear what you guys have to say!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In my opinion you should always do it as a GI unless there is some kind of functionality that is not possible in the GI.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you for the reply @Dmitrii Naumov,

Is it just the de facto standard now?

I know that its generally easier and quicker to do the GI. Since there was a dev tutorial on the Acumatica university about Inquiry forms I thought they they would be more important/useful. 

Might want to have a header on it advising people to use GIs instead usually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@AidenMission I’d say it’s just much more efficient in terms of maintenance costs. Most of the time GI will be much more easy to maintain/upgrade to a new version, etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Dmitrii Naumov,

Sounds good thank you for your advice!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved