Solved

Copy value from custom field to original DAC field

• 21 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

What would be the best way to reverse the code below so that I can update the original DAC field with the custom DAC field?

The reason for this reversal is that I created the new custom field to replace the original Description field. This is because I wanted the descripition field to hold 4000 characters, but reports would still be pulling it in as having only 250 characters since I didn’t update the SQL.

Now that I realise my mistake of not updating the length of the description field via SQL, I will need to reverse the code below so that I can move the text back into the original description field as this custom field is no longer needed.

Kind regards,

Andrew

protected void PMRevenueBudget_RowSelected(PXCache cache, PXRowSelectedEventArgs e)
{

PMRevenueBudget row = (PMRevenueBudget)e.Row;
if (row is null || row.Description is null || row.Description == "") return;

var value = row.Description;

cache.SetValueExt<PMBudgetExt.usrDescriptionExt>(row, value);
row.Description = "";

}

protected void PMRevenueBudget_UsrDescriptionExt_FieldSelecting(PXCache cache, PXFieldSelectingEventArgs e)
{

PMRevenueBudget row = (PMRevenueBudget)e.Row;
if (row is null || row.Description is null || row.Description == "") return;

if (row.Description is object)
cache.SetDefaultExt<PMBudgetExt.usrDescriptionExt>(row);

}

icon

Best answer by Django 22 June 2023, 04:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @AndrewA  In RowSelected and FieldSelecting events, we should not assign the values.

As you wanted to update the Original DAC field from Custom field.

You can write a field updated event for the Custom field, and assign the custom field value to the original field.

hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is this a one time operation that you need to perform on your database?  If so, you can write a SQL script in a separate customization project that will be run when you publish it. Then you can unpublish it and delete the customization project.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Naveen and Django,

Thank you both for your responses! Yes this will be a one time operation. How would the SQL look if I want to copy text from the custom field to the original field? Would it be something like the below?

I only want to reverse the records where the custom field has been used instead of the original field:

UPDATE PMRevenueBudget
SET Description = UsrDescriptionExt
WHERE Description = '' and UsrDescriptionExt <> ''

Kind regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Andrew,

Yes, that’s basically it. I would be tempted to write the assignment as:

SET Description = SUBSTRING(UsrDescriptionExt,1,lengthOfDescription)

just so that you’re only pulling in the first 50 characters (or however long the Description field is).

And then the WHERE clause as:

WHERE ((Description = '') OR (Description IS NULL)) AND (UsrDescriptionExt IS NOT NULL)

I think that the framework will convert empty strings to null values but there may be cases where it does not.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Django,

I will update the SQL with those changes. Thanks so much for your help!

Kind regards,

Andrew

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved