Solved

C# and Acumatica Customization Projects Relationship

• 15 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello All,

I am wondering how is the relationship between Acumatica Customization Projects (ACP) and C#. 

Should

• a) each ACP be translated and linked to a “Solution” in C#? or
  • b) we can have multiple “Projects” in a single C# “Solution” and bind each ACP to a “Project” in a “Solution” not a “Solution” itself?

When I try the second option to bind an ACP to a “Project” it apparently is searching for a “Solution” and not allowing me. If I am to create many “Solutions” to have one-to-one relation between ACP and C# solutions, my customization solutions will be too many.

How you guys are managing your Customization Projects?

icon

Best answer by Dmitrii Naumov 17 April 2023, 23:37

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @aaghaei ,

Well, in fact, a visual studio solution is just an aggregation of projects and there is no necessity of each project to have a single Solution. The same project can be included into multiple solutions and it’s a fine thing to do.

So, you can have one solution that includes all your projects and also more granular solutions for different purposes (e.g. binding to Acumatica customizations).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you @Dmitrii Naumov  for the response.

My inquiry point is the last part of your second paragraph “more granular solutions for different purposes (e.g. binding to Acumatica customizations)”. So is my understanding correct that we MUST have a separate VS Solution for each Acumatica Customization Project?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well, there is no ‘Must’ in that case. You need to provide the dlls or code files in the customization package. How you compose these is of no importance. You can write them in notepad and compile with MSBUILD and don’t have a Visual Studio Solution at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Dmitrii Naumov In this case do you have any idea why when I create multiple projects inside my solution and each one has its own Assembly Name (my project DLLs basically) why Acumatica Customization Project doesn’t show them in the files list that can be added to the Acumatica Customization Project and only shows the one that I have created through the create extension library that ties to the Solution created by Acumatica?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@aaghaei Acumatica customization project just shows the files that are in the bin folder (and other folders too) and that are not filtered out (e.g. system files are filtered out). If it does not show them, it means the dlls are not there.

In the Build settings of a project you can specify the build output path. For the projects created automatically by Acumatica the build path is set to the bin folder of the site. For the ones you create yourself you can set it manually. Or you can simply copy the dlls in the bin folder of the site manually. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Dmitrii Naumov 

All projects Build Output folders were set to bin\Debug\ but only the one that was bound to the Acumatica Customization Project when complied was copied to my instance Bin folder too not sure why. Now that I set manually the Output Folder to my instance Bin folder is building the dll there. Thank you for the help.

Although this way I can add dll to the projects I do not believe Acumatica will be able to understand what is the equivalent C# Project (Not Solution) of Acumatica Customization Projects to sync changes from Acumatica Customization Projects back to the projects not solution.

Still, my understanding is if a customizer wants synchronization between Acumatica and VS, each Acumatica Customization Project MUST have a linked solution (each solution can have multiple projects).

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved