Solved

Extend field length of Address Line 1 and 2

• 18 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Good morning, 

We’re considering extending the field length of the built-in fields for Address Line 1 and Line 2. The existing field length for each is 50 characters, and we are considering extending them to 100 or 150 characters each. I understand that there’s an additional Line 3 field that we can enable as well. 

We would be following the instructions in this blog post: https://asiablog.acumatica.com/2018/03/extend-address-line-length.html

We want to be careful in proceeding since this would be our first experience with customizing a built-in field. 

1. Is customizing a built-in field a common practice? Do lots of people do this?
  2. Do customizations like this run the risk of failing during upgrades?
  3. Are there other risks or pain points associated with customizing a built-in field? 

All comments and experiences are welcome.

Thank you, 

Dave

icon

Best answer by Naveen Boga 18 August 2021, 12:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dhollinden   Please find the details below.

1. Is customizing a built-in field a common practice? Do lots of people do this?  → Yes, based on the business if required, we can customize the built-in fields as well
  2. Do customizations like this run the risk of failing during upgrades? → I don’t think, data will lost the during the upgrade. We have also the same requirement for one our customers i.e. Increase length of the Attribute value field In the Stock Items screen and we did not get any issues during the upgrade
  3. Are there other risks or pain points associated with customizing a built-in field?  → As per my knowledge no issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I conquer with Naveen. 

Yes, we can do any kind of customization on top of built-in fields, business logics and screens, that's the beauty and strength of Acumatica framework, having said this we need to follow the standards of Acumatica framework. 

There will be RISK while upgrading it, but make sure that you read the release notes of the upgraded version before and then plan for the upgrade. 

Happy Coding!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you both. I appreciate your responses. 

Best regards, 

Dave

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved