Solved

Why can't activities be created in Projects without the Track Time and Costs box checked?

• 31 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

We are needing to use activities under projects, but do not want to track time and costs. Even though the box is unchecked under Activity Types, it pulls up automatically checked when we create an activity from the project level. If we uncheck the box, the required project field disappears, so we are unable to link the activity to the project that way. My other thought was to link the activity back to the project via the Related Entity Type, but Project is not an option in the dropdown. See screenshots. Right now, our workaround is to leave the Track Time and Costs box checked, but uncheck Billable. However, to save a project task and cost code are required, which is something we don’t want/need. These extra steps aren’t required in other areas, ie: Project Issues, Project Quotes, Opportunities. How do we make this work, but keep it simple? 

Track Time and Costs Checked - Project Field Shows
Track Time and Costs unchecked - No Project Field
Project not a selection for Related Entity Type

icon

Best answer by joelhoffman 31 August 2023, 21:30

View original

4 replies

Badge +11

Is this related to this question? I see you commented on it.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@darylbowman Yes and no, it’s in addition to the comment I made on the other user’s question yesterday. When we create an email from an activity and hit send, we receive the error I mentioned yesterday. I thought clicking it and unclicking it solved the problem since the email sent. However, after further research, even though the email sends there is no record of it under project activities. I started testing on different types of activities and it’s the same thing, which prompted me to post the above screen shots. When unchecking “Track Time and Costs” it’s removing all links to connect that activity back to the project. Even though the project description is still shown as the related entity the system doesn’t know what to do with the activity because “project” isn’t an option to select under related entity type, and the project specific field disappears when the track time and costs box is unchecked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @mnecaise ,

Currently, the checkbox carries several actions, one is whether the project information is available for selection.  In 2022 R2, we changed the verbiage from ‘Track Time’ to ‘Track Time and Costs’ because or the relationship and project requirement/updating.  There are also requests to put in the ‘Non-Project’ code when unchecked, as the fields will disappear, but may still contain information, as it is a factor when associating the activity to an incoming email from our Outlook Plug-in too.

We are looking at ways to separate things and have a more clear message/action with our 2024 R1 release, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

For now, the only way to associate a project to the activity is to have the checkbox enabled.

Thank You for continuing support of the Acumatica Community.

cc: @darylbowman 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@joelhoffman Thank you for the response and clarification. Looking forward to what comes out in future releases to help alleviate this concern. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved