Solved

Skip document creation in Avalara when invoice is released

• 22 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

According to Avalara's documentation, all ERPs must have an option to disable document recording so that, when an invoice is released, it doesn't get added as a transaction in Avalara. Does anyone know how to engage this feature in Acumatica?

https://developer.avalara.com/erp-integration-guide/sales-tax-badge/design-document-workflow/option-to-disable-document-recording/

Background:

I’m importing orders from my online store which is integrated with Avalara. Some orders are paid for in the store and some are invoiced for in Acumatica, so it simplifies things to let the store record the document in Avalara. When I import the orders, I need the sales tax to match what was charged. The best solution to this I can think of is to have Avalara just do another calculation for imported orders but to not create a transaction in Avalara at the invoicing stage as that would duplicate our tax liability.

I also tried creating a tax zone that allows for tax to be added manually. There are 2 issues I’ve run into here:

1. The taxes on the SO don’t carry over to the invoice.
  2. While I can enter the tax into the document and save, it doesn’t seem to work to update the tax amount on the SO with an import scenario.

icon

Best answer by Omar Ghazi 23 August 2023, 18:26

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

@joshatsbp on our integration to Avalara, we pass the document type (DocType) in our request. The link to that Avalara documentation states:

the behavior is consistent with that language. Transactions in Avalara that are created from Sales Orders in Acumatica are not committed because we send the DocType as a SalesOrder. This behavior is different with Invoices, however, because when we pass the document type as an Invoice, it is committed/recorded in Avalara. 

Additionally, with 23R1 (release notes, page 114), on the Order Types form, there is a new Disable Automatic Tax Calculation checkbox for situations when orders are imported from e-commerce stores. This checkbox is also available to be manually checked/unchecked under the Financial tab in Sales Orders form. When an invoice is then created from that sales order, Acumatica does not recalculate taxes on that invoice and the Disable Automatic Tax Calculation checkbox is a read-only checkbox in that Invoice record to indicate to the user that taxes aren’t recalculated.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Omar,

Thanks for the answer. I think it’s implied in the first paragraph and the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph (the excerpt you included) that the user is supposed to be given a way to enable/disable document recording on any calculation. The specific use case they outline seems at odds with the fact that you can only prevent document recording by creating an SO document in Acumatica rather than an Invoice.

Good to know this has been added to 23R1, though. We are looking to upgrade soon. Might you suggest a workaround in the meantime?

Userlevel 6
Badge

@joshatsbp for a workaround on older versions, try to not include a tax zone in the customer profile. If it’s empty, the sales order associated with that customer should have the Tax Zone be empty. And should carry across to the Invoice. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why update the customer to not have a tax zone rather than override the tax zone on the SO?

In any case, I still need sales tax displayed on the invoice. If I remove the tax zone altogether, how do specify the sales tax amount?

As noted above, I already tried creating a manual tax zone but have run into 2 problems:

1. The taxes on the SO don’t carry over to the invoice.
  2. While I can enter the tax into the document and save, it doesn’t seem to work to update the tax amount on the SO with an import scenario.
Userlevel 6
Badge

@joshatsbp not sure of another workaround at the moment, sorry! As mentioned, we designed the option to not record an Avalara transaction by way of creating an SO per their documentation. Due to the general nature of SO not being a final document in the flow of SO → Invoice, and Invoice is that final document that’s committed. However, when ecommerce/online store are concerned that is definitely a different (and common) use case as you have explained. That’s why our update to 23R1 also extends the Disable Automatic Tax Calculation functionality to our external systems integrations to BigCommerce, Shopify, Amazon etc.,

CC: @StacieJurczak41 in case she has some ideas of workaround on older versions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Omar. I think I’m just going to go the other way and have Acumatica create the document instead. Appreciate your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@joshatsbp good luck! Let us know if you run into other issues. Our tax integration is also customizable. So you might be able to create a customization to modify the behavior if that’s a route you intend to explore.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved