Solved

How to delete a bill when it's already been released?

• 17 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’d like to delete a released bill, how can I manage it?

Right now I could only see the “reverse” button, and when I clicked it the system just created a debit adjustment. I want to delete both of them. Please teach me how. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by vkumar 20 December 2021, 07:06

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @shuang57  You can not delete the RELEASED Bill document instead you need to create Debit Adjust by reversing the Bill Document to nullify the amount details.

Here is the screenshot for your reference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @shuang57 

Adding what @Naveen B has mentioned, the ‘Reverse’ will reverse only AP and PO accrual account part of Bill. If bill is linked to PO receipt, the inventory wont be reversed ( returned ). 

If you intend to return the inventory received against the AP bill, then,

-Create PO return for original receipt 

-Process an AP bill (which will be debit adjustment document) for above PO return 

-You can apply the AP bill to the debit adjustment to clear both documents off aging 

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @vkumar  Thanks a lot for explaining about the PO Returns. It will be more helpful if you attach a sample video recording with one transaction.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi and thank you @Naveen B @vkumar for your answers. I understand that I need to create a PO return, but for the second and third steps in @vkumar ‘s answer: 

“-Process an AP bill (which will be debit adjustment document) for above PO return 

-You can apply the AP bill to the debit adjustment to clear both documents off aging“

I’d really appreciate it if you could kindly specify and maybe show me a sample video.

Again thank you both a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @shuang57 

Here is an example. 

• Created a PO
  • Created a PO receipt, released
  • Created a PO return, released
  • Processed the PO receipt to create an AP Bill
  • Processed the PO return to create an AP Bill (this generates a Debit adjustment automatically)
  • On Debit adjustment, selected ‘Apply’, it opens Checks and Payments screen with Debit adjustment document type
  • You can select the AP bill and apply it to the Debit adjustment. Both AP bill and Debit adjustment document status changes to ‘Closed’ now

PO with PO receipt, PO return, AP bill and Debit adjustment documents.

On Release of above document, note the AP bill and Debit adjustment status changes from ‘Open’ to ‘Closed’

Hope this clarifies. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge

The screenshot demonstration is really helpful. Thank you @vkumar .

Just a quick question. If I noticed that the bill is wrong before paying it, meaning that the AP Bill is already released but not paid yet, I should still go through all the steps shown in your screenshots right? Cause I see here in one of your screenshots it says “amount paid 90.65”, but I actually haven’t paid this amount. So I just want to make sure that for my situation these steps still apply. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Shuang.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @shuang57 The “Amount Paid” in the above screenshot should be read as “Amount Adjusted” as you are trying to reverse the entry of the Bill. This transaction just closes both the Documents BILL and the Debit Adjustments. and hide them from the AP Aging reports

See below for T-Accounts: 

AP Bill Dr Cr
Expense Account or PO Accrual Account xx  
Payables (Vendor Account)   xx

Debit Adjustment Dr Cr
Payables (Vendor Account) xx  
Expense Account or PO Accrual Account   xx

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @shuang57 In Acumatica, you cannot delete a posted document. Once the AP Bill is released, it does not allow to delete it, but reverse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @shuang57 

Yes, you need to go through the process mentioned if you want to reverse the impact of the AP bill in question ( you wanted to delete ). Basically, you  are creating a reversal document for original PO receipt, AP bill and then ‘applying’ the AP bill to the Debit adjustment created to ‘close’ the AP bill and Debit adjustments created.

Since you have mentioned about the amount being incorrect on AP bill in your case, please note that, one can just create a Debit adjustment or Credit adjustment document in addition to the AP bill to correct the amount at AP document level. 

Say, the Bill has been created for $100 instead of $110, you can create a credit adjustment for $10 and probably mention original PO/Bill number on description of Credit adjustment. This wont impact the cost of the item though. Just an alternate option one can use for adjusting small amounts without impacting inventory cost. 

Regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @vkumar @ChandrasekharM for further explanation. Now I get it.

Best Regards,

Shuang.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @shuang57 Good to hear that the solution was helpful

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @vkumar @ChandrasekharM @Naveen B. Sorry to bring up this topic again, but I just realized that the original PO is wrong as well and I need to close it.

For now, the AP Bill and its debit adjustment have been released and have the status of “closed”, the PO receipt and PO return have the status of “released”. I guess these 4 documents are good.

But when I tried to cancel or delete the PO, the system showed an error saying that some quantity of the products have been received, so I can neither cancel it nor delete it. So what should I do about it? I tried “complete order” and now its status is “completed” instead of “closed”. Is it the right step? Thank you all.

Btw the inventory ordered in this PO is non-stock item.

Best regards,

Shuang.

Hello All,

I read everything in this thread. Please, in the case that the amount on AP Bill has been partial paid with a remaining balance while I want to NILL OUT the remaining balance from the Vendors record.

What can be done.

1. I tried reversing the AP Bill but its creating a debit adjustment document for the initial whole amount on the bill including the already paid amount in the bill.
  2. I tried creating a debit adjustment from the checks and payment screen, it doesn’t allows for vendor selection.

Please, what can be done in the case of an AP Bill that is having a balance after part payment.

@vkumar, @Naveen Boga@Naveen B@ChandrasekharM

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@vkumar  Thank you for explaining in details.
Can you take a look at my similiar but more specific question below:

What is the best way to deal with wrong amount bill which has been released? | Community (acumatica.com)

If we want the AP amount, Expense Amount and the inventory cost all be fixed. What is the best way?

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved