Solved

backfill box 7 for all yearly bills after vendor was deemed 1099-eligible

• 26 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there a simplier way to backfill box 7 on existing AP bills once a vendor becomes 1099-eligible?  AP Bills that were created before vendor became 1099-eligible shows blank, while the AP bills created after vendor became 1099-eligible shows box 7. Currently i have to open every bill and add box 7 manually, which is a huge waste of time.

icon

Best answer by mikedavidson07 28 January 2021, 20:33

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you know the amount they should be 1099 you can use the same method as when you convert mid year.  --Quick Check to the vendor for that amount going in and out of the same cash account.

Userlevel 1
Badge

thank you for that.  however, it’s required to know the amount, which i don’t usually know until i open old bills.  It would be fantastic if Acumatica can introduce a method to backfill box 7 without Quick Check workaround

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Depending on your version of Acumatica, (Requires the GI for Bills and Adjustment for steps 1 and 2)

you could: 

1. Go to the Payables, Billes and Adjustments.  
  2. Filter the grid to show the vendor in question and filter on an invoice date range.  This will show your bills and adjustments for the period. 
  3. Open one of the existing invoices in question (an invoice that may have the wrong 1099 coding).  
  4. As long as the Vendor is marked 1099, you should be able to edit the Document Details line and change the 1099 Box by clicking in it and getting the dropdown list choosing 7-NEC.  This change can be made for “Closed” (paid) documents. 

Steps 1 and 2 are not necessary but make the process a little easier.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was able to write an import to update the box lines on all the bill that needed updating.  I had to update bills for the entire year (2000 records).  The import updates in a minute instead of open each bill and changing each line.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That is a much better option when you have many records to update.  

I was able to write an import to update the box lines on all the bill that needed updating.  I had to update bills for the entire year (2000 records).  The import updates in a minute instead of open each bill and changing each line.

Userlevel 1
Badge

the Import scenario is a wonderful option. However, it requires one crucial step: knowing which bills to update the box 7 for.  this is a sequence in our year-end procedures

1. AP team enters a bunch of bills and pay them out throughout the year
  2. sometime mid-year or Sept-October, our AP department obtains all W-9s
  3. we make determination if a particular vendor is 1099-eligible
  4. we have to get a history of AP bills and dig through each one to see if box 7 was ticked or not (what if for first half of the year, the box was always not selected, but for the second one, the box was selected?)
  5. then the AP or accounting team has to make sure to go through each bill where box 7 wasn’t selected to manually select it.

my proposal / idea suggestion is this - why not ask Acumatica to design a code to do #4 and #5 above automatically as part of the Actions menu?  this is a necessary step for all 1099 filing, so i feel like this should be a natural timesaver for accountants during year-end.

Userlevel 3
Badge

yes, just had a client that had to do the same thing.  I made a GI that showed all vendors that are 1099 vendors with bills (per line) that do not have a 1099 box filed out.  Then export the GI results and fill out the box in excel.  Still a bit of a pain but way easier than manually doing it.

Userlevel 3

I agree -- the import scenario is the way to go here.  I noticed (in November) that all bills entered prior to our AP department selecting “1099 vendor” and Box 7, were not showing up on my 1099 reports.  I provided a list of all vendors who needed the 1099 box updated, and my support team was able to update these with an import scenario.

Hi @alicia23 and community members, is there any chance you could provide the import scenario mapping via a screenshot or XML file? Thanks in advance for your consideration and collaboration!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @cwalton62 , here is the import for updating the lines.  You will need to create a GI to run the import off of. 

@alicia23 understood completely. So stoked you saw my note and were kind enough to share. Thank you!!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved