Solved

How do I organize test cases, particular for user acceptance testing of new processes?

• 26 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

What are people’s favorite methods to organize test cases? Is there any Acumatica-specific way to organize test cases?

I would like to ensure users fully test new reports, processes, or preference settings before going live with changes.

Do you use a Word doc or Excel sheet? Is there a software system that works well?

icon

Best answer by Laura02 27 February 2024, 12:26

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi @jwright the choice of organizing test cases depends on factors such as team preferences, project requirements, and available resources. It's important to select a method that best fits your team's needs and facilitates effective testing and collaboration. Excel sheets are popular choice due to their familiarity and flexibility. I would suggest for better visibility go for Document management systems such as SharePoint or Google drive to organize test cases in Word documents or other file formats. These systems offer version control, collaboration features, and document sharing capabilities.

Alternatively, you can also use, Acumatica's Wiki feature to document test cases, creating custom fields in Acumatica to track test case details, or utilizing Acumatica's integrated project management capabilities to manage testing tasks.

Let me know which works well for your team?

Good luck!

Shweta

Badge +18

Hello,

I think your question is more about what documentation works well, but the answer lies more in getting to know the humans who are doing the testing.  (I agree with the previous poster - do the testers have time to work on their own, and how many details do they need?)

With some clients, I can ask them to select a few examples from regular daily work using the new methods, new workflow, and new reports.

With other clients, I meet them and step through the process of testing a few examples from regular daily work and we try out new procedures and new reports together.

In both cases I keep testing steps brief - for example, “Enter and release a Bill.”  (Not field by field instructions → field by field should not be needed; test subjects should be the strongest users of the group.)

When a client indicates they can test on their own versus another meeting…

1. Ask how much time they need.
  2. Advise them, “I can see whether you signed into our test area.” 😄 
  3. Agree to “Check back in” (as many days as they said they needed). 
  4. Put a reminder in your calendar.
  5. Later, check to see who signed in, what screens were opened, and ask the client for the results of their testing (or do they need more time?). 
  6. If they test and find a problem, you’ll hear from them long before the reminder arrives on the calendar.  If they forget to test or can’t find the time, make an appointment to test together with them when the reminder arrives.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

I would suggest for better visibility go for Document management systems such as SharePoint or Google drive to organize test cases in Word documents or other file formats. These systems offer version control, collaboration features, and document sharing capabilities.

@shwetak54 when you have organized the test cases in sharepoint, how have you broken down the the workload? A separate document by the user, process, or test case?

Userlevel 3
Badge

With other clients, I meet them and step through the process of testing a few examples from regular daily work and we try out new procedures and new reports together.

In both cases I keep testing steps brief - for example, “Enter and release a Bill.”  (Not field by field instructions → field by field should not be needed; test subjects should be the strongest users of the group.)

I like your point that the instructions don’t need to be field by field as the end user knows well enough. That definitely brings down the intimidation level.

Great points on how to keep them accountable, definitely going to use many of those tactics!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved