Question

How to use GS1 barcode in Acumatica?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

What are the steps to configure or use the GS1 barcode in Acumatica? Any example?

Thanks,

EV

22 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

Did you notice this previous post, related to printing the same barcodes you’re asking about?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

Did you notice this previous post, related to printing the same barcodes you’re asking about?

Hello,

I saw that article but is not what I need right now.

What I need is:

1. The steps to configure the item or acumatica to scan a GS1 barcode. When I scan a GS1 barcode the system is not reading it. The only location where I see a GS1 configuration is in the Item Preferences. 
  2. How I can extend the scan functionality 

Thank,

EV

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello,

Hello,

I saw that article but is not what I need right now.

What I need is:

1. The steps to configure the item or acumatica to scan a GS1 barcode. When I scan a GS1 barcode the system is not reading it. The only location where I see a GS1 configuration is in the Item Preferences. 
  2. How I can extend the scan functionality 

Thank,

EV

Following as I am looking into the same thing. 2022R2 apparently added this functionality for the report designer but I wasn’t able to get it working as expected yet.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Having a similar issue myself. When I scan in the barcode on Pick, Pack, Ship. It does not parse the string, it just says that the item cannot be found. It also claims the item is:

(01)10822045000183(10)2026-3-CG321041(17)220131

This is the full value of the GS1 Code created using the Acumatica Report Writer under the QR code settings. Did I miss a step here? The GTIN is set under the item xref, but scanning 2D codes just isn’t functioning for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Maybe check on this setting?

Userlevel 3
Badge

What functionality does this give users? Can I do scan and transfers of a serialized unit using a single scan? I found the article on GS1 on the help site but no actual explanation of how to setup the barcode, what data can be held by it and how to utilize within Acumatica. 

https://help.acumatica.com/(W(3))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=947c9182-7423-41db-8e2d-2472e5c38c79

Does anyone have any videos / articles explaining?

If I have a serialized stock item:

Stock item ID = TAPE

Serial # = SN12345

How would this barcode need to read when scanned?

Userlevel 5
Badge

As far as I know, READING 2D BARCODES is not supported yet, thus everyone asking questions. Printing is supported, thus the article linked above.

Quick Run Down:

A normal barcode has a single data element. The barcode.

A 2D barcode holds multiple elements at once. This means that if you had a configurable mapping, you COULD say that scanning a 2D barcode would import the FIRST attribute as the Item ID, the 2nd Attribute as a Serial Number, and so on and so forth. This would require a lot of mapping and most 2D codes aren’t standardized yet, so we have questions like: Is your first element an Item ID, it could be a Serial number, it could be a website, we just don’t know.

So whatever system utilizes 2D barcodes will probably need flexibility, like:

For Screen: Pick Pack and Ship

Warehouse = Barcode (which could also be user-entered)
Location = Barcode
Item ID = 2D Barcode Attribute 1
Qty = Barcode
Serial/Lot = 2D Barcode Attribute 2

This mapping would tell a user they can either scan a barcode or enter by hand the Warehouse.

This mapping tells us that if we are asked for the Item ID, we know that we are expecting a 2D barcode (or hand-entered) and that it would need to check the first attribute of the 2D barcode if one was scanned. Similarly, if we are asked to enter the Serial/Lot we can either scan the 2D barcode grabbing the 2nd attribute or we can enter the value by hand. 

Because of this massive mapping likely needing to be done for most every screen, I think Acumatica has been holding off on implementing this. 2D barcodes are the future, but this implementation would be quite the undertaking from what I understand/assume. I’m hoping they push to integrate quickly. 

AS FOR PRINTING:

This link goes to GS1 compliant encodings. It requires a good bit of string knowledge to interpret, but it’s not insurmountable: https://www.gs1.org/standards/gs1-datamatrix-guideline/25#2-Encoding-data+2-2-GS1-element-strings

Section 2.3 has the full encoded string, but I would read all of section 2 to understand why it KNOWS how to parse that string.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Michael Hansen Appreciate the breakdown. I was under the impression Acumatica could read these on certain screens. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Lhouldsworth - I know some companies/VARs have their own customization scripts for it, but I haven’t found an out of the box solution. Right now, the system just takes the full encoding. Thus my post about it outputting the entire barcode instead of a single element.

My guess is the customizations just override the field and start parsing the string for things like (01) or (17) to find the data they need. It’s really just String Cutting at that point.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is there anyone out there who is scanning 2D barcodes inside of Acumatica that would be willing to explain how they did this? Or sell their customization to others?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have found two 3rd party ISVs who help handle this needs. Acumatica can scan barcodes (but CANNOT parse out the different data fields) containing multiple lines of data (Inventory ID, qty, Lot #, etc.) inside of one barcode. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@edsonvelez64 have you seen this Help ? https://help.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=947c9182-7423-41db-8e2d-2472e5c38c79

Userlevel 1

I have found two 3rd party ISVs who help handle this needs. Acumatica can scan barcodes (but CANNOT parse out the different data fields) containing multiple lines of data (Inventory ID, qty, Lot #, etc.) inside of one barcode. 

@asmith50 who are the ISVs?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jgadbois18 Linfa Systems (https://linfasystems.com/wms-for-acumatica/) and MomentTrack are the two companies I have met with who can handle this need. I am in the process of implementing Linfa Systems right now. 

Userlevel 1

@asmith50 are these ISVs certified by Acumatica? I don’t see them on the marketplace. Curious what your experience has been like so far. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jgadbois18 Linfa Systems (https://linfasystems.com/wms-for-acumatica/) was on previous versions but is not currently (that I could tell) and MomentTrack is new to the game but very excited to work with Acumatica. As far as I know MomentTrack is not certified. 

Linfa Systems seems to have a strong platform which should work well for my client. MomentTrack is newer and I have not used them in an implementation. They do have a great VR picking functionality which is lightyears ahead of anyone else. 

Having a similar issue myself. When I scan in the barcode on Pick, Pack, Ship. It does not parse the string, it just says that the item cannot be found. It also claims the item is:

This is the full value of the GS1 Code created using the Acumatica Report Writer under the QR code settings. Did I miss a step here? The GTIN is set under the item xref, but scanning 2D codes just isn’t functioning for me.

When printing the barcode in report designer are you using the UCC128 type? 

The barcode should read: “0110822045000183102026-3-CG321041(220131” in the Report Designer,

the ‘(‘ is the designated FNC1 character in this instance

I used the following formula for printing based on item, but can be easily modified to by receipt etc:

='01'+[INItemXRef.AlternateID]+'10'+[INLotSerialStatus.LotSerialNbr]+'('+'17'+Substring(Year([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]),2,2)+Month([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate])+IIf(Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate])<10,'0'+Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]),Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]))+30+[@qty]

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@aclair My issue isn’t the creating a data matrix code (yet) my issue is not being able to scan a complex code and have ACU parse out the data in its respective fields.

When printing the barcode in report designer are you using the UCC128 type? 

The barcode should read: “0110822045000183102026-3-CG321041(220131” in the Report Designer,

the ‘(‘ is the designated FNC1 character in this instance

I used the following formula for printing based on item, but can be easily modified to by receipt etc:

='01'+[INItemXRef.AlternateID]+'10'+[INLotSerialStatus.LotSerialNbr]+'('+'17'+Substring(Year([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]),2,2)+Month([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate])+IIf(Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate])<10,'0'+Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]),Day([INLotSerialStatus.ExpireDate]))+30+[@qty]

@Michaelh Sorry forgot to tag you, this doesn't answer the OPs question but it should fix your issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jgadbois18 @asmith50 Linfa is the North American distributor for RIC Group, the certified WMS ISV on Acumatica Marketplace: https://www.acumatica.com/acumatica-marketplace/the-ric-group-warehouse-management-solution/

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To produce 2D barcodes easily with any type of data or barcode format, you should use Asgard Labels. To read them, Acumatica has a minimal support for GS1 but it could be extended by way of a customization. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved