Solved

Emails and database Size

• 8 November 2020
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello Everyone

We have a problem with the size of the database due to the emails and attachements.

Is there something we can do in order not to save these emails with their attachements ? a setting we missed? 

If not a possibility of a purge of the data we don’t need ?

Any ideas

Thnx;

icon

Best answer by Irina 10 November 2020, 14:23

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

To add to this are there any resources for recommended purging and maintenance? With the end of the year coming up it’d be nice to start planning and testing.

Userlevel 2

The attachment normally will store as binary format, you can try to use the external storage to save database size. Checkout this video with details explanation from our partner: 

or details help document here: https://help-2020r2.acumatica.com/(W(1))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=a5989c03-43df-4f31-bd2d-db6d79be31c8 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @NAWRES 

Here are the links to two relevant feature requests sitting on our Product idea page. You may vote and add your comments as well.

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/archiving-purging-and-data-storage-management-2653

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/delete-files-attached-to-other-deleted-objects-1685

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank  you all for your  help 

But if we activate “remove messages from server” in the content tab of the email system settings ; what will it do exactely ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @NAWRES 

Here is relevant documentation for your last question.  

Documentation link:

https://help-2020r2.acumatica.com/(W(6))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=77f0cf69-a363-4b12-9241-2ff4dd54d8ae

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge

Based on my experiences, this is what I have learnt:

• Deletion of the emails.  You can only delete a page at a time.  In a couple case with my clients they had 100,000 emails to delete, so you image the effort required.  Especially since you have to delete them twice - once to change the status to Deleted, and then to finally delete them.  So I had to resort to my own Import Scenarios.
  • Deletion of emails does not remove the attachment
  • There is no clean up facility to delete attachments.  But it gets worse.  It difficult to determine what attachments relate to emails.  If you open some/many attachments you will not find a related entity.  Thus you are left in a lurch.  It is possible to use an Import Scenario to delete Files, but the problem is determining the files to delete.  Perhaps you could get a list prior to deleting the emails.

Its painfully obvious that this whole area is in need of serious attention:

• System management tools to manage files.  Currently you have one screen to “Search Files” and then you can work on one file at a time.  Its inadequate for system management.
  • Lack of archival / purging system for emails (not to be confused with the email Archive folder), attachments and system as a whole. 
    The first ERP system I worked on in 1988 had a full archival and purging facility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Please refer to How to reduce the database size by removing old file revisions KB article for one of the options to reduce the database size.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @Irina 

I don’t think I have access to this article :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @Irina 

I don’t think I have access to this article :( 

Our Knowledge Base is only accessible to partners or customers with a valid contract.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The attachment normally will store as binary format, you can try to use the external storage to save database size. Checkout this video with details explanation from our partner: 

or details help document here: https://help-2020r2.acumatica.com/(W(1))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=a5989c03-43df-4f31-bd2d-db6d79be31c8 

There’s been a history of issues with using external storage as the links to the files from the originating records/transactions haven been known to become corrupted after an upgrade.  It may be that Acumatica has resolved this issue, but I would proceed with caution or confirm with Acumatica that this is no longer an issue.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Based on my experiences, this is what I have learnt:

• Deletion of the emails.  You can only delete a page at a time.  In a couple case with my clients they had 100,000 emails to delete, so you image the effort required.  Especially since you have to delete them twice - once to change the status to Deleted, and then to finally delete them.  So I had to resort to my own Import Scenarios.
  • Deletion of emails does not remove the attachment
  • There is no clean up facility to delete attachments.  But it gets worse.  It difficult to determine what attachments relate to emails.  If you open some/many attachments you will not find a related entity.  Thus you are left in a lurch.  It is possible to use an Import Scenario to delete Files, but the problem is determining the files to delete.  Perhaps you could get a list prior to deleting the emails.

Its painfully obvious that this whole area is in need of serious attention:

• System management tools to manage files.  Currently you have one screen to “Search Files” and then you can work on one file at a time.  Its inadequate for system management.
  • Lack of archival / purging system for emails (not to be confused with the email Archive folder), attachments and system as a whole. 
    The first ERP system I worked on in 1988 had a full archival and purging facility.

totally agree.

Did anyone find a solution for this?  Is it possible to create a job to accomplish this automatically? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@NAWRES @jlpatch @Irina @vkumar 
Hello folks and Acumatica experts, I just noticed that even if we click twice to delete from screen, the database size is not Actually reduced.
These Email records are still kept in Database.

I put my findings here

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@jlpatch - would you be able to share your import scenarios for deleting emails?

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved