Solved

Colorado Retail Delivery Fee

Userlevel 2

Does anyone know of a way to handle the new CO Retail Delivery Fee ($.27 beginning July 1, 2022) either with Avatax or without? 

Avalara had sent out communications regarding this which stated to perform the following: 

Merchants subject to this fee will need to add a $0 line item to their orders with the OF400000 tax code.

I’m unsure as to how this would be done in Acumatica. Perhaps someone from Acumatica may know if there will be something released in a new build perhaps? 

icon

Best answer by dneiheiser94 15 July 2022, 20:46

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Once the tax category and non-stock are setup, Avalara will pick up the delivery fee from the sales order? Nothing needs connected or activated?

You HAVE to add the non stock line to the SO.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I guess I am doing it a little different.

I have it built into a Non stock item with the tax category set to (Taxable) 

Build the Non stock part number into Avatax and assign it the OF400000 tax code.

It will not itemize it on the Sales order or Invoice unless you modify your reports.

Avatax will pick it up and reports works as they should.

Our sales teams are manually entering it as a line item on all Colorado orders, even if they are exempt or if it’s for resale, etc. 

When I get done with some Acumatica modifications and an upgrade we will build a customization to automagically populate it based upon ship to address on the Quote. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

There is a new bill that’s going through the Colorado General Assembly, likely to become law: SB23-143. This could help business, especially small businesses, to comply with the CO Retail Delivery Fee (RDF). There are 2 key changes to highlight:

1. The bill allows businesses to pay the RDF on behalf of the purchaser. They are not required to add the fee to the price of the retail delivery, separately itemize the fee. They are however, required to remit the RDF on the date it would be due had they collected the RDF from the purchaser on the date of the retail delivery.
  2. There is also a new exemption from RDF for businesses that has ≤ $500,000 of retail sales in the prior year or are new, that applies retroactively to when RDFs were first imposed (July 1, 2022)

We are continuing to monitor this with the Avalara team and we will evaluate automating the RDF as this bill gets finalized. 

Additionally,

• New York is proposing a similar bill: S5895.
  • So is Minnesota: HF 580
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello, I set it up as directed. I noticed in your example the taxable amount was zero. Our client states that their tax report from Avalara was off because there is not taxable amount in the sales order. Do you have an explanation or fix for this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello, I set it up as directed. I noticed in your example the taxable amount was zero. Our client states that their tax report from Avalara was off because there is not taxable amount in the sales order. Do you have an explanation or fix for this?

There is no taxable amount because it is not a ‘tax’.  it is a fee attached to each delivery.  So it’s not associated to a value of product but each delivery of product. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tell me more in regards to the Avalara report being off?

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is how it is showing up on the report. Does it look correct?

Userlevel 2
Badge

It is being included in the total sales.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just talked to Avalara support and they said these steps also need completed by the admin of Avalara for future readers.

1. Go to admin.avalara.com

2. Go to Returns > View and add returns > Add a tax return > Colorado >set up CO DR-1786 return form

3. In AvaTax go to Reports > Transaction reports > Sales tax document reports (Report Category)> Colorado retail Delivery Fee Report (Report name) 

4.Submit the Colorado Retail Delivery Fee Report

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved