Solved

Why would adding SOShipmentAddress give error Object Reference Not Set to an instance of an object?

• 18 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

An inquiry that was working fine started giving this error.  When I create a GI with just SOShipmentAddress or SOAddress in tables and put SOAddress.AddressID in the result grid and try to view the results I get error:

Object Reference Not Set to an instance of an object

If I view the trace log it has: 

An unhandled exception has occurred in the function 'IsValidateRequired'. Please see the trace log for more details.

immediately before it.

Does anyone know how I should go about troubleshooting this?

Phil

icon

Best answer by rosenjon 19 March 2022, 07:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ppowell , I wasn’t able to recreate the same issue with a GI and address validation turned on, do you have anything else in the GI?

It might be helpful to know which build you’re on as well as uploading the GI so we can check it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The GI simply has SOAddress and nothing else added with a single item in the results grid of AddressID.  I just created it with only that as a previous GI we made started giving this error and I tracked it down to that DAC.  We have another tenant where it doesn’t give an error so I think it’s a problem unique to this tenant but have no idea how to troubleshoot it.. A report in report designer using the same DAC and output field does not show any error.  Data shows as normal.

We are on: Acumatica Cloud ERP 2021 R2
Build 21.205.0063

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Just a thought….do you have some sort of address validation plugin running on your instance? Perhaps the DAC is not passing some object reference to the address validation plugin when it is being called via the GI?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Just a thought….do you have some sort of address validation plugin running on your instance? Perhaps the DAC is not passing some object reference to the address validation plugin when it is being called via the GI?

Yes we do.  I disabled it and the error is gone.  The question now is how to track down why the validation is failing, but thanks so much for your suggestion. At least we have something to start investigating now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I haven’t spent a lot of time working with Generic Inquiries yet. However, it seems like they are increasingly being exposed to end users to do reporting and other data querying inside Acumatica. The Generic Inquiries can use data access classes, and data access classes are basically a DAL (database abstraction layer) on top of the base MSSQL or MySQL DB.

One of the problems with exposing these DALs this way, is that they may be getting called in code in a way that they are not when used in the Generic Inquiry. For example:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44051533/generic-inquiry-fails-with-dac-extension-field-with-pxdbcalced-or-custom-attribu

Maybe you can provide the name of the address validation plugin you’re using? I don’t know if there is code available for it, but if there is we could take a peak at the IsValidateRequired function and see where we’re having a problem...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We are using avalara for calculating sales tax and address validation.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved