Skip to main content
Solved

MRP/Inventory Planning Display should carry demand type and transaction number over to create supply order

• 24 June 2024
  • 5 replies

MRP/Inventory Planning Display shows the demand type and related transaction, whether a sales order, forecast, safety stock, production order, etc. for the recommended supply order to be created.

However, once the supply order is created, the demand type and related transaction do not follow with the related supply order.

I have dealt with several clients who want this logic in MRP especially for created production orders (which sales order and customer?) and for create purchase orders (which production order or sales order?) The create purchase orders and create production orders are not great solutions, because they would like to have everything work through MRP and without the auto-allocations of the other screens.

5 replies

Badge

This question has been asked a few times in various capacities. Some people were asking for PO’s to be linked and other’s were asking for Jobs to be linked. Someone bumped another thread with a similar question a couple weeks ago:

The issue as I see it is that MRP does not link Purchase Orders or Production Orders to the “Related Document”. What it does instead is “allocate” the material to the first order that requires that material. For example, if you have two demands for the same item and purchase against the later demand, the quantity purchased will by applied to the earlier demand.

I ran into this as well with another client and it complicated the purchasing process. I agree it is misleading in its current state and would be nice if it actually linked the orders. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The solution I am looking for is more of a reference, not an allocation of inventory.

Badge

I don’t mean to say it allocates the inventory like an SA (Sales Order with Allocation). It just applies that Supply source against the Demand sources based on earliest requirements rather than linking them to the Related Document.

I am saying the same thing as you just with an additional problem that this situation creates. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I do not think that the answer provided here adequately addresses the issue, as the link which it references does not provide a solution. Can you please reopen this topic or report why you think a solution has been provided? It is not solved in my opinion. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @bthomas24 

I think you could potentially achieve this with a customisation, however I am not too sure.

There may be an issue with the amount of lines on the MRP as it seems to follow a FIFO ‘strategy’ by date.

You could potentially override the create production order action and create the link between SO and production order, the Inventory Planning however, doesn’t contain a line nbr reference which is necessary so unless you are able to override the action to look up this field and add it then it will be a tough nut.

Same for the PO, you could create the link but finding the SOLine line nbr could prove a challenge without too much though behind it.

When we started using the MRP we were confused too, however we started using the below screen:

I’m sure you have had a look at it but this is the alternative we have found to the display screen.

There have been upgrades to the MRP/Inventory Planning all throughout the last releases so, there will probably be many more soon.

I recommend raising it as a product idea.