Solved

MRP and Outside Processing

• 13 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

We have a multi-level BOM that requires

• Outside Processing at the Sub-Assembly level
  • The Components require shipment to the Outside Processing Vendor (“Vendor Shipment)

Issue:

• When Running MRP at the top level Finished Good level - MRP Display will suggest the creation of the Sub Assembly Production Order
  • But MRP will NOT suggest the Components on the Sub Assembly that are marked for “Vendor Shipment”. (It does suggest if a Component is short and is marked as Regular)

Options that I tested

•  If a Production Order is created for the Sub Assembly and MRP is run - it will suggest Prod Order for the Sub-Assembly.
  • The problem is 2 fold - 
  1. There are Sub Assemblies that are 3-5 deep and hence will require a lot of effort to create and keep track of all the Prod Orders and Components required.
  2. Very Heavy and a lot of Multi-Step “Outside Processing”  (Components shipped to Vendor 1 → who in turn will ship to a second one → who after processing will send it back to the client)
  3. Seasonal Business - which requires Heavy Sales Forecasting and Planning of Components which may have a very long lead time - requiring MRP to suggest Component requirement at all levels.  (Have not tried - but could a work around be creation of a Flat BOM-with all components at a single level and mark it as Plan BOM ID for Top level FG? - for MRP - The issue here is with frequent Engineering changes possible to the FG - keeping the 2 BOMs in sync could be an issue). 

Any insights, inputs would be helpful - Thanks 

icon

Best answer by angierowley75 15 May 2023, 21:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The material of the outside process is set to “subcontract” - correct?  How do you have the “Subcontract Source” value set for the subcontract material?

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the reply - the Setup is

• Work Center = Outside Process
  • The Material Line = Stock Item, Material Type = Subcontract
  • Subcontract Source = Ship to Vendor 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

MRP considers Ship to Vendor subcontract components when I run a test.  

I assume this is how the materials are set for the sub-assembly.

You need to create the parent production order and the sub-assembly production order - and any material components for either of those being sent to the vendor will need to be setup as subcontract and ship to vendor.

Thanks Angie,

Hope I understood the comment correctly -

So for the Components marked as “Ship to Vendor” in a Sub-Assembly to be considered by MRP - the pre-requisite is to create a Production Order for the Sub-Assembly beforehand. Only creating the Parent / Top level FG Production Order / Sales Order will not be enough for the MRP to consider the Component.

If so can this be a feature that can be included where components marked for “Ship To Vendor” in Sub-Assemblies also when running MRP against Parent FG Orders?

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just to correct my response - MRP will blow down through the subassembly BOM … there is no requirement to create the subassembly production order first.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved