Skip to main content
Solved

Updating a field in real time with a business event causes Another process has updated error

• 29 May 2024
  • 5 replies

This is because the document the user is looking at has been updated and the one they are looking at is not the updated version.  If the user were to refresh after saving (when the business event has changed a field value) then there would be no problem.  Instead, if the user continues to work on the document after saving/updating and they are actually working on an old version of that document which is why they get the error upon saving.

What is needed is a way to create a business event that will update the record AND do a refresh of sorts.  One of these ways is to click on CANCEL after clicking on SAVE.  CANCEL will bring into the document the latest updated values.

Has anyone found a way to refresh/re-cache the document in a users browser after updating it via import scenario or actions?  I know I can get around the issue by putting it on a schedule or setting a timer to update after the user has terminated working on the document but this is something that really handicaps the import scenario and actions subscribers imo.  

-David

5 replies

Badge +12

If a user were working on a document that was changed in the background, and somehow it was possible to force a refresh in the current session, the user would lose their work suddenly. At least the way it is, a user can open a newer version of the document in another window and replicate their work.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Exactly, it’s a caching issue.  So how is it solved as a developer?  A developer can update a screen a user is working on after they hit save.  If I am testing the business event and click on SAVE, the data is updated for that record but not for the version the user is actively working on.  My question is, is it possible to update the record the user is actively working on?  I am fairly certain the answer is no, but maybe there is a technique available that can accomplish this task that I am unaware of..

Badge +12

As you said, changes can be made in the current user’s session. The issue is that business events and imports run in a separate session, exactly like a different user were making the changes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @dgross were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Chris Hackett Hi Chris, I don’t think there is one without coding.  The key is to time the update when the user is done with the screen or the user actively selects the change/event to happen.

-David