Skip to main content
Solved

Cash A/C as a Liability

• 24 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello all,

I have a scenario where I would like to record a payment against a PO via credit card as the vendor required upfront costs. We then have the AMEX defined as a liability for this so, then we pay the AMEX. So its like instead of debiting the record again I would like to debit the liability.

How can I achieve this? Is it like under the I define the AMEX as a cash A/c under a liability GL account?
Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

3 replies

Badge +18

Good morning,

I recommend adding the Amex Liability account as a Cash Account in Banking module, connect an Amex or Credit Card Payment Method to the new Cash Account. 

Amex Liability example Cash Account

Next, from the PO, click to Enter Prepayment and record the payment using the new Amex (liability) bank account and Amex/CC Payment Method.  Amex will be credited for the amount of the Prepayment, with debit usually to the Prepayment account listed on the Vendor.

Example Prepayment GL impact - debit to Prepaid Inventory

When Amex bill is paid, the Amex liability account will be debited.

At the end of the month, the Amex Bank Account may be reconciled like other bank accounts, including signing up for a Bank Feed to pull in cleared transactions from Amex for efficient matching and reconciliation.

Laura

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Good morning,

I recommend adding the Amex Liability account as a Cash Account in Banking module, connect an Amex or Credit Card Payment Method to the new Cash Account. 

Amex Liability example Cash Account

Next, from the PO, click to Enter Prepayment and record the payment using the new Amex (liability) bank account and Amex/CC Payment Method.  Amex will be credited for the amount of the Prepayment, with debit usually to the Prepayment account listed on the Vendor.

Example Prepayment GL impact - debit to Prepaid Inventory

When Amex bill is paid, the Amex liability account will be debited.

At the end of the month, the Amex Bank Account may be reconciled like other bank accounts, including signing up for a Bank Feed to pull in cleared transactions from Amex for efficient matching and reconciliation.

Laura

So @Laura02  shall I create a new cash a/c as AMEX, list it under liability GL A/c and list credit card as a payment method?

Badge +18

Hello,

Yes.

Laura