Solved

Understanding the Credit Flow

• 17 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having a bit of confusion trying to understand the credit flow and how to map some of our current processes to it.  The Acumatica Documentation seems to be oriented to credits only occurring Post Invoice and my confusion is how to handle situations where the invoice is not yet in place.  For example

1. Customer places order on our website.  Full capture occurs at the time of order.
  2. Order is injected into Acumatica with payment / transaction details attached.
  3. Shipment is created from the order and sent to the warehouse.
  4. Customer calls in “Oh, I forgot to apply my promo code.  Give me 10% off”

Assuming the transaction has already settled, how do I give them their discount and how does this get reflected on the order so that, if they return an item on the order, they get the correct refund?

Tangentially, if I’m at the Sales Invoice, there doesn’t appear to be anyway to create a Return / RMA from that screen.  Is there a better workflow than creating a new SO of the appropriate type, choosing the customer and then hunting for the corresponding invoice?

icon

Best answer by Jacob 21 August 2022, 20:52

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jacob ,

Thank you for your interest.  I just emailed you some proposed meeting date/times.

-thanks, Dana

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Dana Moffat, I would be happy to participate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Slight refinement to this process:

1. Set the “Applied to Order” on the payment to 0
  2. Set the Discount Percentage or Amount on the line. (we don’t use the defined discounts)
  3. Recalculate Taxes
  4. Set the “Applied to Order” to the correct amount.
  5. Save.
  6. Click the “Payment Reference Number” to open the corresponding Payment.
  7. Three dots menu → Refund.  This will create and open the A/R Customer Refund document for the unapplied amount on the Payment.
  8. Remove Hold. (status is now “pending processing”)
  9. Three dots menu → Refund Card Payment. 

Wonder if there is a way to do step 9 in bulk  / on a schedule so the Customer Refund documents can accumulate and then all be processed at the end of the day.

HI @Jacob 

I have not found a way to mass refund. It appears that is not an option currently. You could always suggest Acumatica include this in a future release of the product. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jacob ,

The Distribution development team is currently conducting end user interviews with our customers about the Customer Returns/Refunds process with objective of identifying areas for improvement. 

Your feedback and inputs into this would be greatly appreciated.  If this is something that you are interested in participating in, please indicate so here.  If yes, then I’ll email you some proposed meeting date/times. 

-thanks, Dana

Userlevel 2
Badge

Slight refinement to this process:

1. Set the “Applied to Order” on the payment to 0
  2. Set the Discount Percentage or Amount on the line. (we don’t use the defined discounts)
  3. Recalculate Taxes
  4. Set the “Applied to Order” to the correct amount.
  5. Save.
  6. Click the “Payment Reference Number” to open the corresponding Payment.
  7. Three dots menu → Refund.  This will create and open the A/R Customer Refund document for the unapplied amount on the Payment.
  8. Remove Hold. (status is now “pending processing”)
  9. Three dots menu → Refund Card Payment. 

Wonder if there is a way to do step 9 in bulk  / on a schedule so the Customer Refund documents can accumulate and then all be processed at the end of the day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Jacob 

Unfortunately, it’s not an ideal method. 

The only other suggestion I could have for you is to have a customization done to accomplish what you are looking for or you could create an idea for Acumatica to review for a future release. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for taking the time to lay this out @kbeatty21 

The one major concern we have with the reprocess model is that, for a retail customer, it creates a double lock on their available funds that lasts an indeterminate amount of time.  Further, if the funds have already settled (ours settle in < 4 hours), a void is not possible and it must be a refund prior to the reprocess.

For example, you place an order for $100.  Funds are captured.  We issue a full refund.  Depending on your bank, that $100 may remain locked for up to 7 business days.  We process again post 10% discount, now we’ve locked up $190 on your card.  There’s no guarantee that the second transaction will even make it through.

I’ve been tinkering on this for a few days and I think the solution will end up being to update the line to reflect the discount, adjust the payment amount applied to the order so as to create a Credit on the Customer account and then process an A/R Credit memo for a refund after posting.  Just super clunky.

Jacob.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

HI @Jacob 

The way that I found this to work is that you can Re-Open the Sales Order and add the discount.

You will then need to Void the original payment and apply a new payment with the new amount. 

You can then create a new payment for the Invoice and process.

It will all be documented when and if  they do return an item and attached to that order. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved