Skip to main content
Solved

Per unit sales tax

• 12 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

How do I setup per unit sales tax in Acumatica?  

“A per unit tax, or specific tax, is a tax that is defined as a fixed amount for each unit of a good or service sold, such as cents per kilogram/liter. It is thus proportional to the particular quantity of a product sold, regardless of its price. Excise taxes, for instance, fall into this tax category.”

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @thomassherman51 

Please see the document “F330 Sales Taxes” and take this course at Acumatica Open University.

Best Regards,

NNT

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @thomassherman51 

Please see the document “F330 Sales Taxes” and take this course at Acumatica Open University.

Best Regards,

NNT

Hello @nhatnghetinh , thanks for sharing.

I have done this course but did not see anything specific to calculating tax using the sale/purchase quantity as the basis and a flat tax amount to be applied. Please do share the reference page number or video segment if you think I missed it. 

All inidcations are that Acumatica clients have to use one of the 3rd-party solution providers to get this specific functionaity, which for clients outside the USA may be overlkill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @thomassherman51 

I have looked carefully and I have noticed that all taxes in Acumatica are only calculated as a % of the value of the sale.
I tried this method using "Discounts" without customization or using a 3rd party solution. Can you see if it works?

For example, with the Excise tax situation.

Step 1: Create "Non-Stock Items" corresponding to "Excise tax"

Sales Account: Select the Excise tax account

Step 2: Create Discount

Step 3: Create Sales Orders 

The system will automatically display tax items after entering the sales quantity.

Next: creating Shipment

Step 4: Create Invoice

• Manual Price of “TAX-EX01” => Uncheck
  • Unit Price of “TAX-EX01” => The system will update the price of each tax unit

Step 5: Save and RELEASE Invoice

Best Regards,

NNT

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Please see this idea here and contribute your business case as well to help get this functionality added to the system.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @thomassherman51 

I have looked carefully and I have noticed that all taxes in Acumatica are only calculated as a % of the value of the sale.
I tried this method using "Discounts" without customization or using a 3rd party solution. Can you see if it works?

For example, with the Excise tax situation.

Step 1: Create "Non-Stock Items" corresponding to "Excise tax"

Sales Account: Select the Excise tax account

Step 2: Create Discount

Step 3: Create Sales Orders 

The system will automatically display tax items after entering the sales quantity.

Next: creating Shipment

Step 4: Create Invoice

• Manual Price of “TAX-EX01” => Uncheck
  • Unit Price of “TAX-EX01” => The system will update the price of each tax unit

Step 5: Save and RELEASE Invoice

Best Regards,

NNT

@nhatnghetinh , this is an interesting work around which we will explore it to see how it plays out in the printing of forms (quotes, sales orders, invoices, debit memos, and credit memos) and reporting as it relates to taxable amount and tax amount.