Solved

How can I use a mobile scanner to scan a barcode and then print out our own label from a printer?

• 30 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are starting to setup our shipping warehouse to be able to use the “Receive and Put Away” feature of Acumatica through the mobile app on an mobile Android scanner and so far so good. Something we would like to do is scan the vendors inventory ID label and then have Acumatica print out a custom designed label (built with the report designer) with our own inventory ID and some other information on it.

I see that I can link the vendors inventory ID to ours through the cross reference → barcode tab in a stock item, so no problem there. I have a report with an input for our stock item inventory ID which when given will generate the label we want to print out and stick on our newly received inventory.

The part I don’t know is how to use the scanner to be able to scan the vendor inventory ID and have all of this work together and print. I would like to avoid creating a customization if at all possible but would consider it if there are no other options.

icon

Best answer by manley75 31 October 2023, 17:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

@manley75 as for scanning the vendor's inventory ID and having that trigger the printing of your custom label, it's a bit more complex. Acumatica's mobile app is designed to be quite flexible, but this might be a stretch for out-of-the-box functionality. Here's what you could consider:

1. **Workflow Automation**: Some of the newer versions of Acumatica offer workflow automation, where you could potentially create a workflow that listens for a specific scanned input (the vendor inventory ID), and then initiates the label print job. But the specifics might require some tinkering.

2. **Business Events**: You might be able to leverage business events in Acumatica to trigger a print job based on the scanned vendor ID. This might require a bit of configuration, but it's another path that could avoid customization.

3. **Device Integration**: Some mobile Android scanners have their own customizable settings where you can program a sequence of actions after a scan, like sending an HTTP request to Acumatica's API to trigger the label printing. This will require some tech skills, but it might be the cleanest way if the other options don't pan out.

4. **Customization**: As a last resort, creating a simple customization in Acumatica might be the way to go. It's not ideal as you mentioned, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

In short, there might be some paths to avoid customization, but they could require a good bit of configuration and testing to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@StevenRatner  I’ve dabbled in all of those things before so I am not afraid to try. I had a look through the available feature of the scanner we have but I don’t see the ability to call a webhook. The rest of the ideas sound good and I agree they could probably work. The specific part I am stuck on is how to get the trigger to happen from the scan gun. Do I need to be looking into developing extentions for the mobile app to add a button to trigger this whole process or is there an easier no code approach to that?

@manley75as for scanning the vendor's inventory ID and having that trigger the printing of your custom label, it's a bit more complex. Acumatica's mobile app is designed to be quite flexible, but this might be a stretch for out-of-the-box functionality. Here's what you could consider:

1. **Workflow Automation**: Some of the newer versions of Acumatica offer workflow automation, where you could potentially create a workflow that listens for a specific scanned input (the vendor inventory ID), and then initiates the label print job. But the specifics might require some tinkering.

2. **Business Events**: You might be able to leverage business events in Acumatica to trigger a print job based on the scanned vendor ID. This might require a bit of configuration, but it's another path that could avoid customization.

3. **Device Integration**: Some mobile Android scanners have their own customizable settings where you can program a sequence of actions after a scan, like sending an HTTP request to Acumatica's API to trigger the label printing. This will require some tech skills, but it might be the cleanest way if the other options don't pan out.

4. **Customization**: As a last resort, creating a simple customization in Acumatica might be the way to go. It's not ideal as you mentioned, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

In short, there might be some paths to avoid customization, but they could require a good bit of configuration and testing to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @manley75 were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved