Solved

Symbol files wont load when trying to debug Acumatica 23r1 source code

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m trying to debug Acumatica 23r1 source code but am unable to get the symbol files to load so my breakpoints are hallowing and say “The Breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document.” I’d like to figure out how to get the source code debugging to work. Also has anyone else been able to debug the Acumatica 23r1 source code?

I was using Acumatica 22r2 and I was able to debug that just fine. I also installed Acumatica 21r2 and I could debug that without issues. I tried 2 different builds of 23r1, 100.0138 and 103.0013(making sure to check the box to install the debugging tools), but both had the same issue.

I’ve tried clearing my symbol cache via Visual Studio and deleting the TemporaryAspFiles folder where the files seem to get put but I still get the same issue. I’ve also tried installing fresh instances of Acumatica and creating fresh customization projects but that has not worked either. I used hyper-v to create a windows 11 VM(my PC is windows 10 so most of my test were using that) and tested 23r1 debugging, but just like before I’m unable to load the symbols files.

The symbol files(.pdb) appear to be in the right places, the Bin of my Acumatica Instance and Files/Bin of my Configurator install folder.

At this point I’m wondering if the symbol files that Acumatica released just don’t match the DLLs.

Here is a screenshot showing the issue. Note the breakpoint which is hallow and the PX.Objects.dll file which says it cannot find symbols.

When I go to Symbol Load Information for the PX.Objects.dll I get the follow output :

“C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Acumatica\23r1\TemporaryAspFiles\Acu23r1test1\acu23r1test1\26be9583\9272708f\assembly\dl3\81904826\00c20f87_6683d901\PX.Objects.pdb: PDB does not match image.

C:\Bld1\AC-FULLCOMMON148-JOB1\code_repo\WebSites\Pure\PX.Objects\obj\Debug\net48\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\PX.Objects.pdb\f709709271014b88bc63ded65a2b1b78ffffffff\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\MicrosoftPublicSymbols\PX.Objects.pdb\f709709271014b88bc63ded65a2b1b78ffffffff\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\PX.Objects.pdb\f709709271014b88bc63ded65a2b1b781\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\MicrosoftPublicSymbols\PX.Objects.pdb\f709709271014b88bc63ded65a2b1b781\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Acumatica\23r1\Acu23r1test1\App_Data\Projects\textDebug23r1_1\PX.Objects.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.”

And if I open the file location of the PX.Objects.dll I see this :

If anyone has any ideas how to get it to work, or if I should report this as a bug somewhere(not sure where), please let me know!

Thanks,

Philip Engesser

icon

Best answer by paengesser82 29 June 2023, 22:19

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m trying to find PX.Objects.pdb in the Acumatica files but even when I installed debugger tools, I can’t debug the bussiness logic because I’m not able to find PX.Objects.pdb in Bin\ folder

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@anahizentella94 Thanks for chiming in. It is odd that we see different behavior, the PX.Objects.pdb is showing up for me, but since visual studio doesn’t seem to want to use it I still can’t debug Acumatica.

I’ll probably try and submit a support case with Acumatica when I get some time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@anahizentella94 @paengesser82 

Did you find a solution to this issue? I am having the same problem after upgrading to 22.211.0034 on one of my development laptops. I have troubleshot every possible including “Disabling Enable Just My Code”, adding the 22.211.0034 “PDB files location to symbols” and even “reinstalling” the version but the debugger doesn’t hit my breakpoint in Acumatica’s source.

It is saying “No symbols have been loaded for this document” and it doesn’t matter what object I am trying to debug it is for all not just a specific .cs file.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello @aaghaei 

The only way that I got PX.Objects.pdb is a clean install with debugger tools of the Acumatica Version that I needed.

I created a new instance with Sales Demo data and PX.Objects.pdb is now there and I can copy this file into my development instance files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks @anahizentella94 

in my case I gave the PDB files but no matter what I do debugger doesn’t hit the code

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@aaghaei no I haven’t figured this out yet, like you the symbol files are there for me but they don’t load. It seems like they are different from the Acumatica source code. I plan to create a support case with Acumatica when I get the time(but who knows when that will be 🙂)

Userlevel 4
Badge

Did you modify web.config to debug=true?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@anahizentella94 yes it is the first to do in my dev environment after installation 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@anahizentella94 thanks for the suggestion! Yes the debug attribute is set to true for my tests, I didn’t have to do that manually though, from what I’ve observed Acumatica defaults that to true on recent versions(at least if you include debug tools when installing the Configurator)

Userlevel 1

I just tried this on a new install with the Acumatica supplied db.  Get the same result.  Review modules in VS and PX.Objects is not loaded.  Additionally, other pdb files that show loaded will not debug either.   

Userlevel 4
Badge

I can’t debug either. Did someone can write the exact steps to achieve a succesfull debug of acumatica source code?. It keeps saying that there is no symbols loaded for the document. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just as a general update, I raised a support request with Acumatica last Friday and am still waiting to hear back from them. It is a low priority case since it is not stopping me from development so it might be a bit before I hear back. Just wanted to let others know that I do have an open ticket for this.

@anahizentella94 are you trying to debug 23r1 or a different version? I’ve been successfully able to debug older version of Acumatica. The T270 training tells you how, this blog post is a little old but it is another resource which explains debugging in Acumatica https://asiablog.acumatica.com/2016/04/debug-acumatica-code.html.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the update, i’m trying to debug 22R1 update 14 version.

But is the same behavior than 23R1. 

I have follow the acumatica instructions but still the same error while trying to debug.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am also having trouble loading symbols for PX.Objects.dll in versions 22.120.0019 and 23.102.0042.

Setting a breakpoint within the CodeRepository (such as INItemPlanAttribute) only shows me that the symbol file

does not match the source code file (or similar). 

When I uncheck the “Require Source Files to exactly match the original version”, I hit my breakpoint,

but the Call Stack shows I am currently within a different method altogether….

I have not yet successfully debugged the source code, so I feel I am

missing a step even with help from docs and online search.

Your Case Support results will hopefully shed some light for me as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @paengesser82 

Based on the information you've provided, it seems like there might be an issue with the PDB files provided with Acumatica 23r1, possibly that the PDBs do not match the DLLs, which would indeed prevent you from debugging the source code. This could be due to an issue in the Acumatica build process.

One way to verify this would be to compare the DLL and PDB file versions. You can do this by right-clicking on the file, selecting "Properties", and then going to the "Details" tab. If the versions don't match, that might be the root cause of your issue.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's not much you can do to solve it on your own. The correct versions of the PDB files would need to be provided by Acumatica. I would suggest reaching out to Acumatica support, or submitting a bug report through their official channels.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you might consider continuing to use a version of Acumatica that you are able to debug (like 22r2) until the issue with 23r1 is resolved. It's not ideal, but it could allow you to keep working on your customization projects while you wait for a solution.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@davidnavasardyan09 thanks for the suggestion, as I mentioned in one of the comments above I reached out to Acumatica support and created a ticket a few weeks back, they reproduced the issue and told me to hang tight, just today they said this.

“Hi Philip,

Just wanted to let you know that our engineering team reported this issue resolved and the fix should appear in 2023 R1 version Update 6, that is scheduled to be released on 7th of July.

This fix is also will be merged to 23 R2.

Kindest regards,”

@anahizentella94 and @jedmunds36 I’m not sure that the issue I ran into is similar to what you guys are having issues with since for me the issue only occurred on the 23 R1 build. In any case you can always try Update 6 and if that still doesn’t work you could try and post a new question or open a ticket with Acumatica support.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the update!

Hi, I am currently using 2022R2 22.214.0019 build. I have same problem with pdb files and will there be fix for 2022R2 in next builds or I cannot fix this until I will update to 2023R1 latest build? @paengesser82 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @kakhetelidzenika! They didn’t specify whether or not there would be a fix for 22R2. So I can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing there wont be.

Hi, 

I have upgraded to 23.106.0050 , but still not able to debug in 23r1. Although i am able to debug in 22r2 .

@davidnavasardyan09 thanks for the suggestion, as I mentioned in one of the comments above I reached out to Acumatica support and created a ticket a few weeks back, they reproduced the issue and told me to hang tight, just today they said this.

“Hi Philip,

Just wanted to let you know that our engineering team reported this issue resolved and the fix should appear in 2023 R1 version Update 6, that is scheduled to be released on 7th of July.

This fix is also will be merged to 23 R2.

Kindest regards,”

@anahizentella94 and @jedmunds36 I’m not sure that the issue I ran into is similar to what you guys are having issues with since for me the issue only occurred on the 23 R1 build. In any case you can always try Update 6 and if that still doesn’t work you could try and post a new question or open a ticket with Acumatica support.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I just upgraded to version 23.114.0025 and am still having issues debug Acumatica source code, is anyone else still having this problem?

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved