Skip to main content
Question

Construction Budget - Unit of Measure

• 5 June 2024
  • 5 replies

When posting our payroll entries, we are utilizing additional Account Groups for tracking between Regular and Overtime labor. Often our projects do not anticipate or budget for Overtime, and the transactions get posted creating new cost budget line items to reflect the amounts.

I know about Recalculating Project Balances to get the Actual Quantities to pull forward, but doing so requires that a UOM be applied to the budget line item. Is there a way to set a default UOM for new budget line items based on Account Group or other? I’m hoping that it’s a setting in the background I’m just not familiar with as that would prevent the need for constant spot fixes and balance recalculations.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@rconandrewl you can set a default UOM on the project preferences however, it’s not account group specific.  This should default on the cost budget.  When setting up the budgets, is part of the set up to include the OT labor row or does it pop up once the transaction is released?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@rconandrewl you can set a default UOM on the project preferences however, it’s not account group specific.  This should default on the cost budget.  When setting up the budgets, is part of the set up to include the OT labor row or does it pop up once the transaction is released?

@iqraharrison Even with the Empty Item UOM set to Hour, whenever new transactions coded to non-existing budget combinations are released, the cost budget row created by the transaction does not inherit that default UOM. I think I’m going to need to submit a case as it sounds like it may be a system bug.

We do not typically anticipate OT on our projects, and to minimize the clutter of $0 cost budget rows we do not create the additional OT lines in our project setups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@rconandrewl i had a feeling it was coming through with the project transaction.  i think its a good idea to submit a ticket and if it’s not a bug, i think it would be worth posting this on the ideas forum!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @rconandrewl were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Chris Hackett 

I opened a Support Case after trying to troubleshoot. The development team rejected the change request and directed us to an existing customization. However, we had to decline the customization due to other fields affected by the build that the development team rejected our modification requests for.

We are now exploring the workaround of creating a business event to identify budget lines with blank UOM and having them updated to HOURS; then scheduling ‘Recalculate Project Balances’ to run the evening after we post our payrolls.

We’d much rather see the these transaction quantities in the master aggregates on a live basis without needing to run additional processes. In the long term, I am continuing to familiarize myself with the new program and hope to expand my knowledge to be able to attempt to build my own customization package for use.