Solved

External File Storage on NAS

• 17 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m having trouble getting external file storage to work when pointed to a Synology NAS.

The NAS directory is mapped to the S:\ drive on my Acumatica server, and I am able to interact with it using my admin account. This is the same account I use when installing Acumatica. However, when I attempt to add either the S:\ drive or a C:\user\administrator\desktop directory as the external storage address, I get an invalid path error.

This is not the case when I use a C:\ directory, so I assume it is user permissions related, but I do not know which user context Acumatica or IIS are running in to grant the needed permissions. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 24 July 2023, 12:57

View original

3 replies

Badge +11

This is how you would normally go about giving folder permissions to an IIS app pool:

Try opening IIS Manager, selecting App Pools on the left, and selecting the App Pool your Acumatica instance is installed in. Note its name.

Locate the folder you wish to allow permission to, and open it’s Properties. Switch to the security tab. Click Edit, and then click Add. In the box that comes up, type ‘IIS AppPool\*appPoolName*’ (replacing *appPoolName* with the actual app pool name, and without ‘ ‘). Click Ok. For good measure, restart the app pool (this will take Acumatica down for a bit).

BUT

Since you are using a secondary device, I’m not sure the above will work. You can try it. It should at least work for a local folder.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just for closure:

This worked to give permission to the local C:/user/... folder that was previously denied.

However with a folder that lives on a Synology NAS, the properties/permissions/locations in windows do not include the local machine, so IIS AppPools can’t be granted permission. Only entities from the greater domain or local to the NAS.

Badge +11

One way to resolve this would be to create an AD user that has local admin permission on the host server (or something similar) and set the IIS AppPool to use that user account. Then permission can be given to that user on the NAS folder.

This can cause more complications to arise, but it is possible.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved