Question

Report Designer - Sorting by the left three digits of a varchar field (I know)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello and thanks for the input to all my reporting & Generic Inquiry people!

I'm attempting to create a hierarchical sorting structure for a Report Designer Report. I'm following documentation but can't seem to get the data to sort in the intended order.

The goal is to sort the Item list by the first 3 numeric values within a 3-segment Item Class code.

I can return the value I want in a separate text field: 

Left([InventoryItem.ItemClassID],3) 

But I can’t seem to sort on it.

As an example, here are a few item classes in their intended sort order:

1. 210FENCE  100BARB   100SHEFF

2. 210FENCE  100BARB   200OKSW   (note the first 3 digits of the third segment are 200 (for 200OKSW ) , so this would come after 100SHEFF)

3. 210FENCE  100BARB   400BEKHRT 

4. 215LVSTOCK100GATES  200METRO  (note the first 3 digits are 215, so this would come after 210FENCE)

5. 215LVSTOCK100GATES  200METRO  

6. 230GARDN  100GDNSPLY   (note the first 3 digits are 230, so this would come after  215LVSTOCK)

The thing that is not working correctly is the overall report sort order. It is not responding to the formula I have established.

In the schema builder, I navigate to Sorting and Grouping, and am attempting to sort by the Data Field : Left([InventoryItem.ItemClassID],3)  Ascending.

I suspect that I am not correctly sorting the ENTIRE report by these values. 

As a secondary concern, I also want to be able to return the first 3 values of the second segment, and secondarily sort by those. 

Thanks for any ideas about this first sorting quandary and what may need to change.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved