Skip to main content

Deeper dive into Report Designer - Where to find more documentation

• 27 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hey everyone, 

I’m trying to find information/training/Documentation on higher level functions of Report Designer.  I have done the Acumatica training, but looking for how to do more.  One example is how to use SubReports.  What do I need to take into account to create a sub report, link the two reports to push and pull the data that I am looking for.  I have some reports that use sub-reports in my system, and I have tried to reverse engineer, but not having a lot of luck.

Any information would be appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@claudematherne24 Subreports can be a little tricky, but once you get the hang of them they are very easy to work with. Once you make the report you want to use as the subreport I recommend adding it to the site map so it has a screenID and you can test the parameters to make sure that it populates correctly as a stand alone report.

Once you know it will populate as desired, you can open the main report and make a subreport object and place it where needed. The link from main report to subreport is specified in the Collection Parameters of the subreport object.

Collection Parameters can be entered as the value of a field seen in the report, like =[ARInvoice.RefNbr], or you can pass the value of a parameter collected from the main report like =[@RefNbr]

The subreport will need to have the exact same parameter in it’s build schema and the expected parameter value will need to be able to populate, so there can’t be default values used in the subreport if you are expecting to insert a value from the main report to the subreport.

You can even pass variables from the subreport back to the main report using the format of $subreportname_variablename, where these placeholders are replaced with actual subreport and variable names.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Do you have a standard on how you map the subreports to the site map to not create conflicts?  Do you just delete them from the site map after?