Skip to main content

Is MS SQL Server that much better than MySQL for Acumatica?

• 2 July 2024
  • 5 replies

MS SQL Server seems to be the popular choice for PCS (Private Cloud Subscription) instances, why?

Why would we not consider MySQL?

Is it because most training and other documentation from Acumatica uses MS SQL Server?

Has anyone experienced both and seen if there are performance differences?

5 replies

MSSQL is generally better choice for Acumatica. It provides better performance for most day-to-day operations as well as for things like upgrade to a newer version. 

However, the difference is usually with 10-20%. There are some special cases where results are significantly worse for MySQL. So, I’d say it depends on your specific load. If that’s a bigger customer where performance is very important and there are a lot of operations running in the background, i’d recommend MSSQL. Otherwise MySQL would do just fine. 

Another point is that some of the customizations are available for MSSQL only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@jwright For Acumatica, MS SQL Server is generally the better choice due to its compatibility, performance, advanced features, and seamless integration with the Acumatica platform. While MySQL might offer cost advantages and flexibility, it may not provide the same level of performance and support required for an ERP system like Acumatica.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Naveen Boga Understood, but in your consulting experience have you seen MySQL used by a larger customer? Have you had customers switch from one to the other for performance reasons?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@acumaticahelper57 are you speaking from personal experience on the performance difference (like 10-20%)? Have you used Acumatica with MySQL?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

In order to understand performance differences between MS SQL and MySQL, I’ve used Maria DB 8.7, and I had a code, which creates 10000 Sales orders.

Code was like that ( sorry for providing pseudo code, I don’t have actual code as of now ):

var graph = PXGraph.CreateInstance<SOOrderEntry>();

for(int i = 0; i < 10 000; i++)

{

graph.Clear();

var soOrder = graph.Document.Insert();

var dtls = graph.Transactions.Insert();

dtls.InventoryID = some id

dtls.Qty = some qty

graph.Transactions.Update(dtls);

}

and then executed it on my laptop on out of the box installation for MariaDB and for MS SQL. Performance difference was on behalf of MS SQL, but can’t tell you exact numbers. Maybe around 10%, but not huge difference. Maybe on next Acumatica virtual dev con will arrange demo to show actual results again.