Skip to main content

I realyl appreciate for any explanation in detail for this question. May i know what is the main function of the branch that we select on summary when doing data entry for Journal Transactions, where it will affect ? on the report part ? the rest i know like approval it may go the workgoup which assign to that branch, but for other purposes of selecting branch ? my concern was on reporting part. if anybody can explain in detail on other part also i appreciated very much.

I mean as per below screenshot, Branch section .

I already read the help pane for that form, 

Branch The branch to which this batch is related.

I’m clueless no further explanation regarding impact of that choosen branch.

Hello,

In Finance → Journal Transactions, the Branch field in the summary area defaults from the active company at first. We can change the Branch in the summary area as needed.

Transaction Lines default from the Branch in the summary area, but individual lines can also be changed.

Changing the Branch shown in Summary area of Journal Transactions above is exactly the same as changing the Branch on the FINANCIAL tab of any document in subsidiary ledgers:  Branch defaults from top of screen to the FINANCIAL tab of an AP Bill, AP Payment, AP Cash Purchase, AR Invoice, AR Payment, etc. but can be changed by the User on the document’s  FINANCIAL tab to a different Branch.

When the Branch/Company in the Summary matches all lines of a Journal Transaction, AP document, or AP Document, I think there is no question about Branch posting behavior.  When we have different branches on Summary versus the header of a batch or document… that is when the entry becomes interesting.

Company Type field of Companies screen and Inter-Branch Mapping configurations have influence on the posting behaviors of documents and branches.

Companies With Branches Not Requiring Balancing may mix Branches on lines of a Journal Transaction, AP Bill, or AR Invoice (These are examples, not an all-inclusive list. Most any transaction may be mixed). Acumatica will not create any balancing entries in this case. When a Trial Balance report or Balance Sheet Statement is run for Branches that do not balance, you will see that Assets total may differ from Liabilities total for Branches that do not Balance.  To see a balanced Balance Sheet for a Company With Branches Not Requiring Balancing, all Branches must be included in the report.

In a Company with Branches Requiring Balancing, one of two scenarios can happen when we mix Branches on lines of a Journal Transaction, AP Bill, or AR Invoice (again, example document types).

1. Acumatica will force us to balance debits and credits by Branch within our batch before releasing, or
  2. If we have inter-branch relationships defined in Inter-Branch Account Mapping screen between the Branch at the Summary area of our Journal Transaction and the Lines of our Journal, or between the Finance tab of our document and the lines of our document, upon release of the entry, Acumatica will automatically create intercompany transactions that balance the batch with Due To/Due From entries to GL.

Acumatica-generated automatic intercompany balancing entries

One more example: in Journal Transactions, if debits and credits are in balance by branch, it doesn’t matter how many or which branches are in the entry and it doesn’t matter which branch is displayed at the top summary area:  Acumatica will only use the Branches on the individual lines to determine to which branches the entry is posted.

Laura