Solved

Serial Number on Service Order

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am new to Service Management, so thanks a lot whoever can help

Tried to create an appointment to replace a component which is Serial Tracked. The setup for tracking requires to manually input the serial number on Usage.

However, when i try to complete the appointment, the system is generating an error due to the fact that it requires the Serial Number. Tried to key it on the appointment, but the system is telling me Serial number is not found and won’t let me to continue.

How should i record such instance?

Thanks

Angelo

icon

Best answer by Anacarina Calvo 11 May 2022, 16:50

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I mistakenly cleared my previous post. I don’t remember the exact question but I asked about the serial number already being entered.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for your quick reply.

When component was bought, Serial number was not defined (keyed in) during Receipting stage as it is required only on usage. I was assuming that Service Management will allow user to define the Serial Number for the first time (key it in) directly on the Appointment → Details Line for that component. 

Unfortunately it does not

The reason why we need it to be defined on Usage is  due to the fact that components come packed and the serial number is know only on installation.

The exact error i am recieving is ‘Error: Updating  'Appointment Item Detail' record raised at least one error. Please review the errors. You cannot complete this line, because the quantity on the Lot Serials does not match quantity on the line.’

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I haven’t had a chance to check but it may only work with manual entry when updated to a Sales Order and processed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hmm, thought so, but it would be incredibly cumbersome. don’t you think so?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Since the system is really planning on getting the entry at the time of invoicing, it does make sense. That being said, it would be nice to be able to enter at the Service Order/Appointment because that is when you have the item and will be able to enter the data. To work around that, I think you will need to capture at the time of receipt and than choose on the Service Order/Appointment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @apickard5 unfortunately the ability to support Stock Items with Assignment method When Used is currently not supported on the Field Service

See known issue AC-115134 on https://portal.acumatica.com/(W(3))/Main?ScreenId=KI2022R1&PageID=f4c70ae8-17e1-4e49-867b-f26ab674608b

To handle this type of Stock Items you would have to change the Service Order Type to Generate Billing Documents to Sales Order and select an Order Type for Billing with Automation Behavior as SO. The serial number will then be entered on the Shipment that will be generated from the Sales Order, instead of the Service Order or Appointment. One idea could be to enter the serial number as a note on the line  of the Service Order/Appointment and when the Sales Order and Shipment are generated you can have the serial number information at hand. 

Hope this answers your question. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Ms. Calvo,

Thanks for your reply.

Tried to follow your recommended solution and created a new Service Type to include the settings you mentioned. Created a Service Order with 2 lines, the component to replace as 1st line and Service to do so on 2nd line in the details.

Converted to appointment, however when i tried to finish and close the following error is still showing. ‘Error: Updating  'Appointment Item Detail' record raised at least one error. Please review the errors. You cannot complete this line, because the quantity on the Lot Serials does not match quantity on the line. You cannot complete this line, because the quantity on the Lot Serials does not match quantity on the line.’

Unfortunately it does not allow me to run billing to create the Sales Order and Shipment as the error happens on the Appointment before even allowing the billing process io generate the SO.

Any other idea how to go around this issue?

Thanks

Angelo

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@apickard5 unfortunately it seems this alternate solution only works if the Billing Cycle of the customer is set to Run Billing for Service Orders, in which case the Run Billing action will be executed on the Service Order screen. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ms. Calvo,

Tried to change the Billing Cycle to SO SO (Group and Bill by Service Order). Still same issue

For the time being i am going to record Serial Numbers as an Attribute. Hopefully this is addressed in the near future as such feature is very important for Business Services like Lifts, AC and similar Line of Business

Thanks

Angelo

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@apickard5 you are right, with Billing Cycle SO SO you will be able to bill the service order but not to complete the appointment if it has the stock item in it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ms. Calvo,

Thanks for the update and information. Much appreciated

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved