Skip to main content
Solved

What could cause missing payment Reference numbers?

• 11 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello - 

We noticed that we have missing numbers in the sequence for our payments for one of our properties. They are creating automatically from the AP suggest next record, and no one has access to modify that setting. 

The system skips from reference number 7526 to 7528, skipping two reference numbers. The auditors caught this and are wondering the cause, and have deemed it an actionable issue. As far as I am aware, once a payment is created and a reference number assigned, it cannot be deleted, only voided, which still leaves the reference number. 

My question is, what possible scenarios could cause this, outside of someone changing the Last Reference Number on the payment method?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I don’t have enough information to pinpoint exact cause, but from my experience with numbering sequences, this kind of behavior happens when the code generates multiple records and you only fill one of them. The other records are then silently removed by cache removal or similar commands.

I'm also not sure which table you’re showing on the screenshot, but there’s a chance that it has DeletedDatabaseRecord . Record for which this flag is set to 1 (true) aren’t visible through the Acumatica UI (generally). If you have access to the database, you can check  it there directly. Acumatica create this type of the field specifically to allow “deleting” the record, without removing all traces of it just in case it is required for restoration in future (ledger records, orders, etc.).  

Another thing that has been occurring more than once in my experience - the same numbering sequence is used for different records. If that’s the case for you, these numbers might be used for some other entities.