Skip to main content

REST API VS OData

Hi all, 

I am developing integration with Acumatica for a 3rd party WMS. 

Currently, I am using the REST API to get all of the documents and stock items.
What are the advantages of using OData over using the REST API?
I am specifically curious about performance. 

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @GraniteDev,

The contract-based API is associated with a screen (for defining the data contract), whereas OData is linked to a generic inquiry. If you have a screen already showcasing the desired data, or if it's available in the default endpoint, this can be advantageous. However, if the data isn't currently displayed on a screen, creating an entire screen from scratch takes more time than quickly setting up a GI.

OData is limited to read-only functionality, whereas the contract-based API allows for both reading and writing operations.

Hi @jinin 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 
What you are saying makes sense. I seem to be making it work with just the standard endpoints at the moment. 

Do the OData/GI have any advantages in performance as a result of not being associated with a screen?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @GraniteDev ,

Utilizing OData and GI for data access and operations can yield notable performance advantages by minimizing overhead, enabling direct data access, streamlining queries, and enhancing resource allocation. These benefits position OData and GI as particularly suitable options for applications that demand streamlined and scalable data interactions without the necessity of UI-related processing.