Skip to main content
Solved

Extending Workflow State Identifier Past 1char

• 21 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello, 

Not entirely sure why Acumatica did this, but I was curious about whether or not the identifier field for states could be expanded to two characters. 1 character gives you 26 alpha (less pre-defined) and then 10 int. I know you can use symbols as well but these don’t work well with API/middleware. Just wanted to gauge if this would be feasible or if anyone has done it in the past.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi @rhooper91 

If a workflow has more than 36 different states, I can’t imagine the complexity of all possible combinations of conditions to transition from one to another. Having said that, I do no think there is a limitation into the state engine as the state field can be defined bigger in the source DAC and set in the workflow:

and then

CMMSWorkOrder.Status can be defined longer than 1 character.

There is an excellent guide (5 parts) for workflows written by Brian Stevens which explain the insights of Acumatica workflows: [Workflows Via Code]

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks, Leonardo-

Yeah.. you are telling me about the complexity of the workflows. 21 workflows.. each having niche states. This is great information, I’ll dig into it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Leonardo Justiniano I was able to get it to work with a DAC override to two characters and then a database script to increase the length in the table itself.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Awesome!