Skip to main content
Question

How Can I Import/Update Contacts Based on Email Address and Business Account ID

• 3 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello!

We’re migrating to Acumatica and trying to import contacts via an Import Scenario with an Excel spreadsheet as the data provider.

Since we’re pulling these contacts from multiple sources, we don’t have a dedicated ID for each contact. Instead, we’re using the email address and account ID to identify “unique” contacts. Email addresses are non-unique across the set of contacts, but are unique for a particular Business Account. Basically, the same email address can be used for multiple contacts, as long as each of those contacts belongs to a different business account.

We’re also still early in the migration, so it’s likely that we will need to import the spreadsheet multiple times as it is updated with new contacts or additional data for previously imported contacts.

Unfortunately, I’m having trouble building an Import Scenario to accomplish this.

Custom keys seem to be the way to go, but I get the following error when doing a test import of a single contact:

Error: 'Contact' cannot be empty. Error: 'Last Name' cannot be empty.

“Last Name” is definitely not empty in the spreadsheet, and it is not empty on the Import By Scenario screen for this Import Scenario.

The Import Scenario

If anyone has any tips on how to accomplish this, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rlange 

Please check the imported Excel file. There may be lines missing required information like Last Name.

Best Regards,

NNT

Hi @rlange 

Please check the imported Excel file. There may be lines missing required information like Last Name.

Hello! Thanks for the response.

Would a missing “Last Name” anywhere in the Excel file trigger this error, even if the one contact I’m importing (as a test) does have a “Last Name”?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @rlange ,

A missing "Last Name" in an Excel file might not necessarily trigger an error if the specific contact you're importing has a "Last Name" field filled in.

Hi @rlange 

Best Regards,

NNT

I just want to be clear that this answer was selected automatically and is not the solution to my question. This topic currently has no solution that I am aware of.

Badge +18

Hello,

Did you try to use the Email to determine the Contact ID?

I’m not sure this will work in a list containing duplicate emails and therefore some new contacts and some existing. (Can be quickly tested to find out.)

Laura