Solved

Snapshots take up too much space; managing space

• 16 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Good day, we are doing a project to move data from QB.  The vendor uses snapshots has development as move forward in the process from one tenant to another.  The process has caused a major space issue.  Does anyone have any advice.  We have started to delete old snapshots; this frees up some space but it is ongoing issue.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by ChandraM 16 November 2021, 12:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @EvanG  Here is the Tips for Managing the Snapshots, that I recommend. This will save the backup sizes and performance, as Acumatica uses Companyid field on the Database table to Maintain the backup.

1. Immediately after taking a snapshot of a tenant, follow the below steps
    • Export the snapshot to the hard drive of your backup server or a local system
    • Delete the snapshot after exporting to the snapshot 
  2. Immediately after restoring the Snapshot
    • Delete the snapshot from the Tenants grid
  3. Export all your current snapshots to the hard drive of your backup server or a local system. And delete them. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @EvanG Also, leaving the old snapshots in the Tenants screen is a bit Risky. If the user hits on the Restore snapshots button instead of any other action in the screen, the old data will be restored in the production instance. This is one of the Point that I insist to the users with Admin Rights to be more careful.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @EvanG 

I guess you need an internal process to delete old snapshots after exporting them to an external folder if you need them for future reference. 

Is the instance on our Saas environment? This should not be an issue on PCS installation.

Regards

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you everyone for these very helpful tips in managing snapshots.  I will pass them on to our QB migration vendor.  We have increased the system space on our Saas environment.  Right now I don’t expect any issue; at least I hope.

I appreciate your support.

Evan

Userlevel 2

On this same topic, how long does it normally take to delete a snapshot?  I have one that’s almost 20,000 MB that I’m in the process of deleting and it’s been processing for almost 30 minutes.

update - It took 32 minutes.  Now I know.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved