Solved

Shipments with Multiple Packages - Export to BigCommerce

• 1 February 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello, a few of our client have the same issue: when exporting shipment information from Acumatica to BigCommerce, the export fails, when there are 2 or more packages on the shipment, and no items are assigned to each box:

The error on the export would be: The [shipment number] shipment could not be exported because the [tracking number] box has no items. Please delete this box or assign an item to it.

Can we have Acumatica disregard any and all tracking numbers, UNLESS it’s the only tracking number (1 package on a shipment) or the package has items assigned?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by smarenich 3 February 2022, 15:13

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@smarenich , Sergey, I have read your explanation here. In my mind, it’s limiting a client big time. So the ask is, can we change that logic? Do you see why it could be wrong to allow the client use this simplified logic instead of pushing them to fill boxes? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @yurik05 we are aware of this problem, and we have 2 improvements.

One improvement is already done in the latest updates of 2020 and 2021. There is a new field - Shipment with Empty Boxes

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@smarenich , thanks for your reply. I have seen this box in the latest 21R1. It’s a good step toward a workable solution.

I’m working in 21.118.0038 and when I have a shipment with 2 ‘empty’ boxes, and setting is Export Without Empty Boxes, I’m getting this error upon trying to process data:

So, I wonder how this is supposed to work - maybe, you can shed some light on that? And also, what other changes are coming in the nearest future? We would like to avoid customizing the connector if you’re working on a solution already.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@yurik05 To precisely advise you what is wrong, I would like to review your shipment and settings. Could you please create a case for this problem? to speed up the process you can include the link to this conversation in the support request.

Related to the future changes. Please advise if the attached flow will work for you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@smarenich , I’m gonna shoot you an email, I can’t download the file...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@smarenich , I was able to open the file. I think the logic is pretty robust. The only issue I see is with the last step:

I’d say, it would be really beneficial, at this point, to check if there is any empty box with a tracking number. And if so, utilize that tracking number for this separate shipment.

The logic is that if the shipment has 2+ empty boxes, in the described scenario, we will end up having the order fulfilled, but no tracking number is provided to the customer. However, if we include the above suggested logic, the customer will get at least 1 tracking number. Both UPS and FedEx will display the customer ‘related shipments’, in case the shipment was multi-box. So even though BigCommerce won’t have all tracking numbers, a customer will be able to track them all.

Does it make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@yurik05 thanks! I will pass this feedback to the business analysts!

Hi everyone,

Yuri sent me the link to this thread and I wanted to chime in. We’re one of the clients that is facing this issue at the moment, and the lack of tracking information in BigCommerce is a stumbling block for us. We would really appreciate a solution like Yuri proposed in his last post, as it would provide the master tracking number to the customer-facing portal in BigCommerce.

Please let me or Yuri know if there’s anything else we can do to push for this. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@radrianse Thanks a lot for the feedback! I will pass it to the business analysts and developers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Yuri Karpenko @radrianse Please we request your feedback. 

You know already that Retail-Commerce connector exports shipments by box. Meaning if you have one shipment with two boxes with items in Acumatica then you would have two shipments in BigCommerce.

BigCommerce recently introduced a feature where you can create shipment boxes with 0 items and no tracking number. I am assuming it is because customers requested for it. I can also see some scenarios with large items where the sub items are packed in a box without tracking number but in Acumatica you cannot assign a item to that box because it is created as one stock item. 

Example: There might be a stock item called DINNINGTABLE in Acumatica. But this one item could be packed in multiple boxes.

• 1st box has the dinning table top → Tracking Number 3456
  • 2nd box has the table legs → No Tracking Number
  • 3rd box with tools, screws, manual etc., → Tracking Number 7891

2nd and 3rd boxes in Acumatica shipment looks like empty boxes though in realty it is not. Because it is one stock item (DINNINGTABLE) and it cannot be shared with multiple boxes in Acumatica Shipment. 

Now the question is

1. Should we just export only the boxes with tracking number? Meaning only 1st and 3rd box. 
  2. Should we export all the three boxes because the end customer could know that three boxes will be delivered to his/her home?

P.S: BigCommerce now allows us to create empty boxes without tracking number. 

Please let us know what you think is the best approach. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KarthikGajendran , this is great news that BigCommerce now allows for empty boxes! That’s what we needed.

Now, as far as the scenario you described goes, my personal preference would be 2) export all 3 boxes, regardless of the presence of the tracking number.

However, with integrated carriers, I don’t think you can possibly have this situation. That is, if I have an integration with UPS / USPS / FedEx, I add 3 boxes to the Packages tab, and select one of the appropriate ship via codes, all boxes will get tracking numbers.

I guess, this situation is only possible when you use a manual tracking numbers approach and / or integration with 3rd party shipping solutions.

In other words, I don’t really see a case for somebody using boxes without tracking numbers. But if they do, then they would probably want that box pushed back to BigCommerce.

Just my 2 cents. I’m happy to talk through this with you together if necessary.

P.S. I really appreciate you reaching out for the community feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Yuri Karpenko Thanks a lot for your quick feedback. That helps us to take better decision. I will also wait for @radrianse to reply. 

I agree with Yuri, option 2 sounds the best. I don’t believe in our current setup (with integrated carriers) that I have ever seen a box created without a label + tracking, but regardless, I believe it would be the best from a customer service standpoint if all the boxes are visible to the customer in BigCommerce.

Thank you guys for pushing this through. I appreciate the timely support on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you @radrianse for the feedback. Much appreciated.  

@KarthikGajendran@smarenich Did that workflow ever make it into release? We’re about to upgrade to 22R2 but I haven’t seen anything in the release notes, but it’s possible I missed it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@radrianse Yes, this feature was delivered in updates, so it should be in 22r2 updates

@smarenich any chance you could point me to the details in the release notes?

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved