Solved

Can you increase the character limit for a field in the report designer?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

I have recently increased the character limit of the description fields to 4000for the Tasks, Revenue and Cost Budget tabs in the Projects screen, and I am wanting to replicate this in the report that pulls in these description fields.

Is it possible to increase the amount of characters that a field can hold in the report designer? Or is it set to a maximum that isn’t able to be changed?

Kind regards,

Andrew

icon

Best answer by AndrewA 19 May 2023, 05:17

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you open the reports in Report Designer and set the Description Fields “Can Grow” to true it should stretch automatically 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Reza,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry I should have sent through a screenshot of the settings I had in the report designer. I have the “Can Grow” option enabled, but it doesn’t seem to grow past a certain point.

I tried exapnding the field in the report designer to give the field more room for text and still the text stopped at a particular point.

I might try unticking and then reticking the “Can Grow” option to see if it kicks it into gear.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ok, if you are sure that it only prints a limited number of characters (Let say 500), I hav a suggestion that might help you make it work. Let say your current fields are in Detail1 Section. This is the section that always will be printed. Just to be safe change the value formula of the Description field to Substring(0, Min(500, Length(TheFieldName)), TheFieldName)

Now, add a new Section or duplicate the Detail1 (Let say Detail2). Clear all fields from Detail2 and just keep the Description in the same position but make the below changes: 1) change it’s value formula to Substring(501, Min(500, Length(TheFieldName)-500), TheFieldName) and 2) set the row visibility formula to Length(TheFieldName)>500

You can repeat this for Detail3 and …

Im typing on iPhone, so you may need to verify the formulas syntaxs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Please make sure your report designer version matches your Acumatica version.  I have seen this issue before when the versions are mismatched. 

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Reza and Robert,

Thank you both for your responses. What would be the best way to check the current version of the Report Designer?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @AndrewA 

To find the Report Designer version number

1. Locate the Acumatica Report Designer executable file: Find the Acumatica Report Designer shortcut on your desktop or in your Start menu, right-click on it, and select "Open file location" or "Properties." If you choose "Properties," go to the "Shortcut" tab and find the "Target" field that shows the path to the executable file.

2. Access the executable file properties: Once you have located the Acumatica Report Designer executable file (which should have a .exe extension) in the Windows File Explorer, right-click on it and choose "Properties" from the context menu.

3. Navigate to the "Details" tab: In the Properties window, click on the "Details" tab to access the file's metadata, including the version information.

4. Find the version number: In the "Details" tab, look for a field labeled "Product version." The version number should be displayed next to the label, typically in a format like "x.y.z".

5. Close the "Properties" window: After noting down the version number, click on the "OK" or "Close" button to close the "Properties" window.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @AndrewA could you please attach the RPX file as well, I do not see the request earlier in this thread and it can be quite helpful to diagnose the issue you are encountering. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information for checking the version number. Here is the report file, let me know if there are any issues opening that file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Andrew, thank you for the file, unfortunately this is an rps file not an rpx file.  

Here is an article that will help you find upload the rpx file in a zip folder. 

https://www.augforums.com/acumatica-rps-versus-rpx-file-types/

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Robert, sorry about that. Thanks for sending through the article, I have attached the .rpx file.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have attached the versions of the application and report designer below.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @AndrewA were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Chris, yes, I managed to get this resolved.

I created a custom field with a length of 4000, and the client can add whatever text they need in there. When the report takes in this new field, the long text displays as expected.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you for sharing your solution with the community @AndrewA !

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Chiming in late.  There definitely seems to be a limit that the field can grow to.  I tried a custom field nvarchar(4000) and stored a block of text in it.  It is all saved into the field as when I select it from SQL, it is all there.  

The field in the report is cut off.  There should be another 20 lines showing on this report.

The report is being designed in 2023R1.  The instance of the customization is in 2023R1.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved