Question

Feed Data into Product Configurator

• 9 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello--

We are looking for the best approach to externally feed data and selections into the manufacturing product configurator.

For instance, if a certain combo box option is selected on the sales order, data from another field or table is automatically fed into the product configurator. 

Looking for information on any of the following:

• How to use import scenarios with product configurator
  • How to use API with product configurator
    • And endpoint extension you can send me?
  • Business events or push notifications with product configurator
  • How product configurator keys work and if these keys can be externally generated and fed into the SO

Thank you!!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I can answer a couple of these - unfortunately the Product Configurator as it is today is not setup well for external manipulation.

• There are no API endpoints exposed.  This is on the Roadmap for the future.
  • Product Configuration Keys can’t be externally generated.

There hopefully is someone in the community that can help with your import scenario request as well as assist with business events / notifications.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks @angierowley75 

A recommendation for future development would be a ‘config key’ like parameter that contains a ‘reversible hash’ of every chosen configuration option. For example, a Product A configured to be 20 cm in length with color blue selected would have the configuration hash A20B. The same product configured in green would have the hash A20G. 

With this feature, any system internal or external could calculate this hash on its own and feed it into the sales order line to bypass the configurator’s GUI.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@xkylewrightx  Did you ever get a solution for this question? We’re needing the same thing.

This question has the same request: Import scenario for product configurator | Community (acumatica.com)

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Freeman Helmuth

We put a lot of time into this and we’re not able to come up with a real solution using the product configurator. In its current state it can not be effectively controlled externally via Rest API, import scenario, etc in any useful capacity. 

The solution we are currently pursuing instead is - we have built our own product configurator web app (PHP, JavaScript, etc.) who’s output uses a series of Rest API calls to build out a sales order, then production order inside Acumatica based on the configuration options selected in our own custom ‘configurator’. Super annoying that this is the most efficient solution we could come up with, and I’m following threads like this closely for one that brings order creation back inside the Acumatica UI

Userlevel 4
Badge

@xkylewrightx 

Do you have any progress you can share on integrating with the product configurator? Are you still stuck at the same place?

I’d also like to know what all you have tried and how deep you went into trying to customize the configurator. IE: Did you just try import/export scenarios and customizing endpoints or did you go all the way to C# customization?

@dennisgodsill36 mentioned in this post; Import scenario for product configurator | Community (acumatica.com) that he has an import scenario that might work.

Wondering if you or anyone else has opened a support case as he suggested.

It would be helpful if someone from Acumatica could point out the actual issue that is preventing the product configurator from being exposed to the API. At the moment, the only issue I can find is that when you try to PUT a configuration via the API, the Revision field is required and that field is not exposed to API. We have a decent Acumatica developer on board and with some guidance I think we could get there

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Freeman Helmuth No, sorry :( We did not end up buying the product configurator so I stopped trying to make it work. 

As said above, what we did instead is that we have built our own product configurator web app (PHP, JavaScript, etc.) who’s output uses a series of Rest API calls to build out a sales order, then production order inside Acumatica based on the configuration options selected in our own custom ‘configurator’.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Acumatica has dropped a good surprise on us: 2023R2 Beta 2 includes a Product Configurator Endpoint!
See the release notes here:AcumaticaERP_2023R2_Beta2_ReleaseNotes_for_Developers.pdf (acumatica-builds.s3.amazonaws.com)

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved