Solved

Licensing a customization for a specific vertical

• 16 July 2020
  • 7 replies

Has anyone solved the issue of how to license their customization that is aimed at a specific vertical in order to retain control of their IP?  We’ve been spending a lot of time working on our vertical specific dashboards, reports, and functionality during the last few months and now need to work on how to create a licensing process that will allow us to ‘turn off’ that functionality once a license expires. 

We saw an example at Summit but I’m wondering if anyone else has been working on this or has an efficient way of accomplishing this.

icon

Best answer by hsarjapur 17 July 2020, 19:19

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello Paul,

For ISV solutions Fulfilled  by Acumatica we allow to reuse Acumatica Licensing server and Acumatica Licensing restriction mechanisms.

https://www.acumatica.com/acumatica-marketplace/?selectCategory=&selectIndustry=&selectType=&selectCertification=fulfilled&search=

However, for solutions that are sold not through Acumatica we cannot provide Acumatica Licensing mechanisms. 

Unfortunately, we have no examples or guides to help you with that. 

Maybe some ISV that has already implemented it for their needs can share some experience.

Userlevel 3
Badge

MaxQ, PC Bennett and Crestwood have implemented licensing for their solutions. Some ISV also planned to release it as a commercial product, I will try to find who it was. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Paul,

If your not fulfilled by Acumatica then you have to cook up your own licensing mechanism to validate and expiry your functionality of the solution.

I personally like the Acumatica licensing as it’s stronger authentication but we are dealing with closed network of customers, so simple encrypted approach of date expiration would also help, and we follow this simple approach for all our plugins - Printshop, Jewelshop, eSignature and Addr Validation …

@Igor.Leybe  and @dnaumov it would be grt if Acumatica comes up new licensing key for those who are listed on marketplace or those who are members of ADN then that’s value add for partners, just a thought.

Thanks for the input @Igor.Leybe , @hsarjapur and @dnaumov.  It was Crestwood that was showing their solution a Summit I think.  I’ll reach out to them and to PCBennet and see how they did it.  A standard approach would be a good idea for the channel, otherwise we might get a lot of different solutions that don’t necessarily play well together.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@paul68 @hsarjapur But think about joining “Fulfilled by Acumatica” program. This way you get Acumatica licensing and a lot of other benefits!

Userlevel 4
Badge

While Acumatica licensing is the way to go, there would be cases that will require building your own: interdependent modules, or if you need to have control of your licensing that is not tied to Acumatica renewals.

If you are looking for something more comprehensive, I would recommend this module: https://www.ssware.com/cryptolicensing/cryptolicensing_net.htm for licensing. We have embedded this in a web app, and host it on our servers, and simply make calls to our web server to validate the license for our products periodically.

This allows you to send expiration notifications, etc.

Hello Paul,

This is Teresa and I work at EIS, we have a product called “ License Manager” that might interest you.

License Manager- The ability to package and protect you IP and resell it to your other customers as a source of revenue. You can license any Acumatica feature “VAR IP” from inside your Acumatica to clients.

Let me know if I can help.  ~Teresa  214-682-4783

Teresa.Rekieta@eis.consulting

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved