Importing Journal Transactions: The Post Period is being overwritten by the transaction date's default post period

• 16 November 2020
  • 11 replies

When I import journal transactions, I have multiple line details grouping to be one GL batch by JE number and post period. Each GL Batch has the same Post Period, but some lines within a batch have a different transaction date in the source file (I’m brining in historical SL GL batches and its common for SL Batches to span multiple dates in one batch). In Acumatica, if I bring in the post period and transaction date at the batch level, Acumatica will just default the post period that the last transaction date is in. The only way my GL batches get the proper Post Period is if all the line details share the same date, or if their dates share the same default post period as the post period I want to load. Let me know if this isn’t making any sense, but I have ran into this issue with multiple implementations and I have been trying to find a solution.

Thank you!

-Landry

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ndahayol79 I assume that you are using an Import Scenario to process your import file? The default scenario that ships with Acumatica doesn’t allow you to specify the post period, so I assume that you have your own import scenario or that you modified the one that ships with Acumatica.

In any case, I think that simply setting the post period *after* you set the date in the import scenario mapping will do the trick:

I created my own that works when I inactivate the Transaction Date line. It doesn’t work when I add the post period after the transaction date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can you check if you format the post period like it is on screen? There’s a “-” between the month and year.

I have tried that. I have also tried to hard code a period directly into the import scenario and I still ran into the same issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ndahayol79 if you only set the financial period and skip the date, does it actually set it? Your import scenario looks 100% right otherwise, it would just go through all the steps in the mapping in the same order a regular user would do it from the web UI -- the default post period should be overridden by what you set there in your scenario.

When I only set the financial period and skip the date, the import does set the post period correctly. Part of me thinks it has to do with the grouping of the lines potentially? Maybe I have to make my own primary key for the post period? I am trying to think of a way to solve this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ndahayol79 

I have tried importing GL transaction with different post period with reference to transaction date, using our sample scenario you can find Demo tenant. It worked fine. I am attaching the XML for your reference. 

Imported transaction 

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Right, like I said earlier, if the transaction date is the same, i.e. your example, the post period will be entered properly.

BUT 

In your example if the top line’s date was different, i.e. 01/02/2013, then the post period would have defaulted to 01-2013.

Does this make sense?

@ndahayol79 did you manage to resolve this issue. I’m experiencing the same thing and have tried just about everything to no avail.

I’ve replicated this issue also. There appears to be some sort of but where the Post Period is being defaulted by the Transaction date value, and then the Import Scenario value is not being passed applied (regardless of position in the import scenario steps, data source, hard-coded value..)

I have also replicated the ability to make the Transaction Date import scenario line inactive, and the import scenario Post Period IS honoured… but this is not idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m running into the same issue and here’s the one work around that I’ve found that’s working so far...but it’s a lot of extra work.  One of the other things I’ve encountered and I think it ties into this is that for the Journal Entries, the screen is very picky about the order it’s loading things in.  We’d customized the column order and I had to update my import scenarios so that my import scenario matched our customized column order.  And like OP, I’m also importing historical transactions from an SL environment with multiple dates on the transaction lines and there are transactions that are from older dates in newer (non-matching) periods.

1. Load the transactions using either the stock import scenario or a customized import scenario (I needed to add Project and Task to mine)
  1. Then, create a new import scenario with literally just the module, the batch number and the financial period that you want it to be in and save.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved